abs headliner - newbies like me be careful

-

labyerly

Reaction score
I installed my new abs headliner for my '74 Dart Swinger. Purchased from Dante's manufactured by REM.

HEADS UP to newbies like me: Precut holes in the plastic did not line up properly. The seatbelt holes were off by 3 inches and I didn't discover it until I put a bolt slit in the liner at the predrilled location. Don't cut anything until to check it out.

It didn't fit quite right but mostly because it was molded mostly flat and had to be pushed up and in pretty hard. Before you try to put it in, lay it out in the sun and get it nice and warm so it bends easier.

I only swore about 100 times but my wife only called me an idiot twice. Not bad - she usually gets in at least a half dozen on a job like this! The anticipation of doing it was worse than the actual job.

Thanks for the advice. I will be tackling this job myself pretty soon. You say the holes were off by 3" - Damn!
C

I can concur that the abs healiners are in my opinion are crap. I should have kept the original and just had it covered in vinyl or fabric. Its fit and function would be 110% better. Also alot easier to put back in with it not being all flexible like the abs.

I did install the abs one mine myself. I couldnt get the front tucked under the front windshield seal. I didnt put the seat belts or the coat hooks in, so i have no idea on how those holes were on precut. The holes for the sunvisors were almost close enough. The slits and hole for the dome light were almost unuseable. I had to turn my dome light to get the screws to fit the holes in the roof. Also i didnt realize it until after it was up, there was no holes for the rear view mirror. Had to go swag with them.

Another helpfull hint. Regardless of the color, (mine is white) before you start the project, clean the underside of the front and rear window seals, were it tucks under them. I didnt and the dirt spread on the headliner like the hiv in africa. Nothing like pulling on them and getting a face full of dirt and then on your hands, and so on and so on.

Not to be completely negative, it is better than nothing at all, but it is by no means a top notch replacement.

I thought I would update this for others like me.

The REM headliner/sail panels are NOT really that wonderful. The covering is foam backed and ends up being kind of "puffy". The same is definetly true of the sail panels. The original sail panels had an almost paper like covering and the replacements are foam backed. They just don't look quite right.

If you have your original stuff, I would recommend you just recover what you have using unbacked cloth or naugahyde instead. Use 3m/Scotch 90 adhesive. You'll be a lot happier and have the money to spend on go fast parts!

-
Back