AC belt idler

-

GSXcite

Reaction score
The bearing is shot on the idler for the AC belt on my 66 barracuda. I have not found a replacement assembly but it looks like one could just replace the bearing. Anyone know if the bearing can be removed with a punch from front without damaging the idler, or is some special puller required? Thanks for your help.
IMAG0426.jpg
IMAG0430.jpg

I replaced a recessed bearing like that in a transmission part. As I recall, it stuck out enough to grab hold of with a bearing puller clamp. I can't figure how that pulley installs. Presumably your photo shows it off the bracket. There is no thru hole for a bolt, nor a thread on the backside. I prefer changing bearings on idlers, even when a new part is available (mostly on my newer cars), because the new parts come w/ Chinese no-name bearings and I'd rather keep the pulley and install a better German or Jap bearing (ebay). Bearings come in standard sizes.

I replaced a recessed bearing like that in a transmission part. As I recall, it stuck out enough to grab hold of with a bearing puller clamp. I can't figure how that pulley installs. Presumably your photo shows it off the bracket. There is no thru hole for a bolt, nor a thread on the backside. I prefer changing bearings on idlers, even when a new part is available (mostly on my newer cars), because the new parts come w/ Chinese no-name bearings and I'd rather keep the pulley and install a better German or Jap bearing (ebay). Bearings come in standard sizes.
Yes it is off the bracket. The top appears to have a crimp to keep the threaded rod for the bearing from going through the idler. Going to see if I can press it out . Don't want to screw it up though, I'm trying to keep the car as original as possible as it only has 30K miles and is unmolested. Thanks for the reply's.

-
Back