AC Conversion - Oil Drain

-

jpstewart19

Reaction score
Trying to test out the AC system and convert to R134. Old condenser was cracked, so replacing it and the drier. I am going to change the oil to ester, but prefer not to pull the compressor and potentially create additional opportunities for leaks.

Does flushing it remove the oil from the RV2, or is there any easy way to drain the oil without pulling it?

Flushing it will never remove all of the oil. That compressor has an oil sump just like an engine. You will have to pull the compressor off and remove the pan to drain the oil.

Thanks for the tip...what I figured. I think part of my hesitance was trying to ensure I have a replacement gasket for the high side connection (tried to research and cant find the specific part #)
upload_2022-6-15_11-34-20.png

Trying to test out the AC system and convert to R134. Old condenser was cracked, so replacing it and the drier. I am going to change the oil to ester, but prefer not to pull the compressor and potentially create additional opportunities for leaks.Does flushing it remove the oil from the RV2, or is there any easy way to drain the oil without pulling it?

Hello jpstewart19
Here ya go....
P/S you should also replace the TXV with a R134A type......
Happy Mopar :)
Arron.
Gaskets.jpg

You can use an o ring to seal the high side discharge. The passenger side of the compressor has an oil fill plug 1/4" NPT. Pull the plug out and suck the oil out with a small tube connected to a mighty vac vacuum pump. Spray some brake cleaner in the pan and suck it out a few times. Make an oil dipstick for the compressor oil level and fill with the ester oil. Also shoot 2 oz of oil in the condenser and evaporator with a syringe. Any remaining mineral oil will settle in and stay at the lowest part of the system. Ester oil is compatible with the remaining mineral oil. Pull a vacuum and add 134. Mine runs the best with max ac selected low side 28psi and high side at 175-200 with the car cooled down and compressor cycling off an on thru the temp sensing switch in the evaporator. A good cooling system, fan and radiator is essential.

-
Back