AC in A100 pickup

-

Docmcg

Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m thinking of putting Ac in my A100 pickup. It’s a ‘65 with a slant six-automatic. Charlie S has been kind enough to help me fab a mount for the compressor to bolt up where the power steering normally would. After talking with him, it appears we might have a problem. He asked me where my alternator mounts on the motor (driver’s side or passenger). Right now my motor is not in the truck, it isn’t even assembled. First, can anyone tell me what side the alternator mounts and if on the driver’s side, will in be in the way for the compressor to mount below it? For those of you that have a slant in your cars, are the alternator and power steering pumps both on the driver’s side of the motor? And last, if anybody with a A100/108 truck or van with a slant six can shed some light here, I’d really appreciate it.

Correct. The stock location for the alternator on the A100 is the driver's side. I kinda want a driver's side mount for my alternator. I'll trade you passenger's side for yours if you want.

Hey Charlie, I do have it. I’ll have to dig it out .
Could you send it to me? I have several engines that I use for "mocking"up. I can put that bracket on one, and Then I should be able to fab a A/C mount that will work. You don't have to worry about it. I will return the mount. I'll give you my address in a private message.

Charrie_s has done great things for this site, and many members, an A+ reputation. I would send it .

He's a class act fo sho and fo certain.
I now have the driver side alt mount on hand. So I can start mocking up a compressor mount. Couple of things to take into consideration is:
1) A100 PU with a small "doghouse
2) Dutra dual exhaust manifolds.
3) Offie dual carb intake, with twin Weber 2bbl carbs
4) I don't have a vehicle here that I can use to check for clearance issues. Need to rely on pictures, and tape measure.

-
Back