AC to non AC change

-

moparfanatic56

Reaction score
Ok guys I have a 72 dart that was originally a 6 cyc AC car. I am putting a 340 non AC into it so what all will I need to swap out. It appears that I will need to change the control panel but what about the heater box and if so will a non ac box bolt right in? Any advice will be greatly will be greatly appreciated.

Not a direct bolt in. The firewalls are different. The dash controls, wiring, bezel, etc. It's all different. Might be better to leave your A/C box in and keep your wiring and controls all factory. Just plug the A/C fittings off at the firewall.

Not a direct bolt in. The firewalls are different. The dash controls, wiring, bezel, etc. It's all different. Might be better to leave your A/C box in and keep your wiring and controls all factory. Just plug the A/C fittings off at the firewall.
Thanks
That was what I was afraid of

This is exactly what I did with my 69 Dart. It was much easier to just bolt the original AC/Heater box back in the car. I just capped off the AC vents under the dash and removed all the components that come through into the engine bay. Heater portion still works using factory control setup.

You may need to change an alternator bracket because when I changed mine, one of the alternator mounts was on the a/c compressor.

There are aftermarket "heater only" (with defrost) units you can buy which are smaller than the original A body heaters. That would be one way. One caveat.......you will have to deal in some way with the pass side cowl vent.

-
Back