Acceleration Hesitation

-

tooslow

Reaction score
If I punch it from a stand still -Nothing!!! Butterflies open and nothing.
If I feather it a little its all good
Do I need to adjust the Accelerater pump-increase???

How bout a little less info?

K
-440 stroker
850 ED carb
M1 intake
3.23 gear
559 mech cam

When I stand on it sitting still the engine completely pukes-dies. The butterflies open and the engine just stops-nothing
If I pump or feather the gas pedal then off I go or if I am driving at 20mph then nail it" Hold on to Your Purse"

What do the initial timing and timing curve look like?

Well this probably ain't the whole problem but dammit man, that gear is about as mismatched as a square peg in a round hole. Make sure all the simple stuff is workin. Accel pump squirtin a GOOD stream. Timin set properly. All the basics and go from there. It's not gonna be it's best with that gear, but it should be better than what it sounds like now.

It is a 559 purple stick and I take the car road racing so burn outs are not high on my list
I know I should have biult a 400 small block stroker and i should have married Penelope CruZ, but here i am divorced w a BIG block Dart road racer. I
I like the torque and the looks i ger from the Vette crowd

what color pump cam?
what number/size shooter?

Depending on the stall, you may need more shooter followed by pump cam.

Try a 35 shooter and red or orange pump cam, though u may need bigger than that....

But 1st tell us what shooter size/pump cam?

If its pukes & dies, its beyond just a pump/cam change, you also say your needing to feather it, its a lean condition, I would also bump the timing too 35-36* total.

From what i'm reading (ED), Is it an Eddy carb, i sure hope not on a BB stroker, or do you mean 850 AED?

First off set your timing to 12-14 initial with the full at 35-37. A quick fix is a 4 hole carb spacer (helps the bottom end) especially with that single plane. If it doesn't totally fix the problem then a 850 double pumper. It wants more gas. Now if you want it to perform from off idle to 3000 RPM ditch the gears for minimum 3.73 and minimum 3000 stall convertor. You've got a huge mismatch all centered around that single plane with no supporting actors to help out. You might also consider a RPM Performer, the bottom end will come to life but you may loss a couple 100 RPM at the top end.

My convertor stall is 2500RPM.
I cheaped out on the convertor thats in it now and am saving for a TCI of around 3500.stall I will give TCI my parameters
I road race the car and handles pretty good! Has some work done!
I average 60mph to 145mph once I am on the track. 3000 RPM-6500(Oil mods and Accumulator)
I AM RUNNING AN EDELBROCK CARB(purty) but I need an excuse to move to a Demon?
Off line acceleration does not matter to much but I am curious about the stumble

I cheaped out on the convertor thats in it now and am saving for a TCI of around 3500.stall I will give TCI my parameters
I average 60mph to 145mph once I am on the track. 3000 RPM-6500(Oil mods and Accumulator)
Off line acceleration does not matter to much but I am curious about the stumble

your engine is not high enough in the rpm range for how much load (gears and converter) it is fighting so is stumbles...

go holley or something else but dont go demon... besides... they went out of business...

why go with a TCI converter when there is Edge,PTC, turbo action, A1, and four others or so that actually can make a converter... and make it right...

What about a Hughes convertor. My budget is 600.00 all I got pockets are out

What about a Hughes convertor. My budget is 600.00 all I got pockets are out

they are really loose... go with one of the others... alot on here like dynamic? i think is what they were...

i went with an Edge

Put more nitrous on it.

they are really loose... go with one of the others... alot on here like dynamic? i think is what they were...

i went with an Edge

Road racing with an auto is hilarious to me.

OP...the pump lever on that eddy has 3 positions, try one closer to the carb, then if thats not enough, go with a larger shooter.

After that if it keeps acting lean, weaker step up springs.

Don't go to big on the convertor or you'll be driving under it and making more heat for the trans, just a start and JMO.

Road racing with an auto is hilarious to me.

OP...the pump lever on that eddy has 3 positions, try one closer to the carb, then if thats not enough, go with a larger shooter.

After that if it keeps acting lean, weaker step up springs.

Don't go to big on the convertor or you'll be driving under it and making more heat for the trans, just a start and JMO.

very true

If the converter seems good i would leave it for now, I say this because your road racing it, like said, you don't want too much stall in a road racer, On the carb, Its rated at 800 cfm, but thats here nor there, You can increase the pump shot & inlarge the squirter, But IMO, I wouldn't start dumping too much coin in that Eddy, just e-bay it & buy a holley, Stay AWAY from TCI converters, they have a very high slip rate, PTC makes VG units for reasonable prices, I've used 4 of theres & loved every one, Kenny at PTC worked higher up for TCI for a good 20 yrs. & left because he had some good ideas & TCI wouldn't do it, no hard feelings on his part.

I'm sorry to here Demon went out of Business!!
I think I will upgrade to a Holley .WHAT MDEL HOLLEY????

I know it would be easier and alot less expense to go and buy a newer manual shift Mustang or Camaro that would blow the doors off of my Road race Dart. But I love mopars and I don't want to have a car like everyone elses car( I will put a Tremac 5 speed in this fall) its still gets up to 140mph in the straights and handles pretty good in the corners at R. A
I will save the $800 bucks and keep my convertor till I install a manual gear box

-
Back