acceleration

-
Reaction score
currently running a carter 2 bbl setup on a 1971 slant six and 904 trans setup in my 65 valiant. i've noticed that acceleration is always a bit slow (granted, it's better with the 2 bbl setup vs the stock 1 bbl), especially when accelerating from a stop or traveling on a slight incline. i'm wondering if there's a way to improve acceleration via the transmission, like say, get it to shift faster? i'm not trying to race with it, just use it for normal city driving. it can get a bit hairy when i make left turns across traffic or freeway merges, because of the slow acceleration. any ideas?

what rear gears are in it? get off quicker going to a numerically higher gear number....that is what I would do 3.23 or 3.55

I agree, a rear end gear change is the best way. If the gears are changing too early, you can adjust that with the throttle linkage but it probably won't help with your issue.

I agree, a rear end gear change is the best way. If the gears are changing too early, you can adjust that with the throttle linkage but it probably won't help with your issue.

Yes that won't help....needs more gear

I agree with the esteemed Mr. Brown, but don't go more than 3.55, or you will be running out of breath above 70 mph.

1971 slant six block, a-904 trans. i rebuilt the head a couple years ago -- installed new valves; lapped the valves; set the valve lash while motor running per service manual; installed new pushrods; disassembled, cleaned and reassembled the rocker assembly; new distributor cap and rotor.

7.25 rear end from a 1976 duster, not even sure what the stock gear is.
does anyone sell higher gears for the 7.25? how hard is it to change out? i don't race or anything and for the most part, the 7.25 has been fine for the kind of driving i do.

Drop in an 80's 904 with a lower 1st and 2nd

-
Back