accelerator pump

-

Torrance1

Reaction score
Hi all
( please don't ask why i want to know) hahaha

OK, 74 dart 318, has a rebuilt carter BBd 2bbl
it has sat for some time now.. the accelerator pump was not working
I bought a rebuild kit, the kit had most of the correct parts, except for the "top" gasket
and the "accelerator pump".
the one in the kit has a smaller diameter "head"
Why?
I've been reading and I find that these carbs have either a short or tall style?
I installed the old pump and of course it's not working...
last night on ebay I bought an accelerator pump. hoping it will fix my problem

But I'm at the point of buy a replacement carter BBd for this engine.
can anyone tell me which is the correct carb to buy. I know there are many
"parts" numbers.
the car has an automatic trans..
or should I buy a Holley carb?
I don't care if it's stock or not, just getting it to run..
Best

Last edited:
Go to myMopar.com and download your cars Factory service manual.

In the fuel section there should be a listing of what carb came on what engine with AT etc.

With that number you can see if the carb on your car is the "correct" one.

Each carb has a number STAMPED on the base side about where it mates to the manifold.

See what carb you have, then go to Carburetor Parts Catalog| Mike's Carburetor Parts
or other carborator online store and see what kit to buy.

Many times in the life of a car a "functionally" equivalent part gets substituted but then getting repair parts for it is time consuming.

Last thing, I assume you ment BBD not DDB?

Go to myMopar.com and download your cars Factory service manual.

In the fuel section there should be a listing of what carb came on what engine with AT etc.

With that number you can see if the carb on your car is the "correct" one.

Each carb has a number STAMPED on the base side about where it mates to the manifold.

See what carb you have, then go to Carburetor Parts Catalog| Mike's Carburetor Parts
or other carborator online store and see what kit to buy.

Many times in the life of a car a "functionally" equivalent part gets substituted but then getting repair parts for it is time consuming.

Last thing, I assume you ment BBD not DDB?
yes on the last.. sorry
Thanks for that info..going to the site right now

Each carb has a number STAMPED on the base side about where it mates to the manifold. BBD and BBS carbs do not have stamped numbers for identification purposes. Identified by tag only which is now lost. Other numbers on carb are casting numbers,useless for identification.

thanks for that info...
I did find some stamping on the carb
yesterday, could not match it with anything
on passenger side of carb, on fuel bowl
either 2579 or 2379.
Thanks all for your input. If the accelerator pump I purchased does not work I'll just replace the Carb I'm spending to much time on small things.

Well this is why I ask questions.
Just found photo of a BBd with the
2379 casting number...
As a side
I posted a question on another site and the first reply was "why do you want to know". Man has way to much time on his hands. Sometimes fast to ask a question then to try and find the answer In the above case another man gave a partial
correct answer. Again I found a site with the most correct answers...

The 74 was first year for high top tin cover solid fuel carb. Has rubber accelerator pump cup. 73 and back low top air bleed fuel main system,with leather accelerator pump. Which one do you have?

a pic of the old pump might be helpful.
If it is leather, it can be rejuvenated.
If it is NOT leather, Not torn, and Not rockhard, or partially melted, they can SOMETIMES be rejuvenated.
But before you go nuts, you must know that this circuit needs working checkvalves. Many times the pump is fine but the checks don't work.

-
Back