Accessing Radio Connection In a 1969 Valiant

-

1969_Valiant

Reaction score
I need to remove my dash panel so I can access the power and speaker wires of the radio in my '69 Valiant. Are there any tricks I should know of---clips, hidden screws, etc...or is it fairly straight forward with a few exposed screws? Does one end need to come out first or anything like that?

Also, is the original AM radio power cable in the dash compatible with new radios or is it some strange old-school connection? Any replies are appreciated. Thanks a lot.

If I'm not mistaken this all can be done from under the dash. I have never removed the dash panel to get e radio or speaker out. There is a brace holding the rear of the radio to the underside of the dash and I believe the speaker is held in place with nuts on the underside of the top of the dash.

Windshield has to come out to remove the dash. Your better off accessing it from the bottom.

Remove negitive battery cable Remove ashtray and its hanger. Remove brace at rear of radio, knobs, bezel nuts, 2 connections. Green and black to the dash speaker. Red and orange are radio power and illumination,. There is no memory wire available. Aftermarket radios would get that power from the dome light circuit and fuse, not the brake light circuit or fuse. Memory wire should be yellow :)

Cool. That sounds easy enough. Wow--windshield has to be pulled to get dash??!! The top part(dashpad?) can be removed without pulling the windshield, right? Mine is HAMMERED!!! I was hoping to change that some day....

As for the wiring--Is it just exposed-end wiring going into the radio? No harness? I should just clip the wires behind the harness of the radio and use crimps to connect 'em? Thanks again. You guys are awesome.

I need to remove my dash panel so I can access the power and speaker wires of the radio in my '69 Valiant.
Not really. It will come out from underneath.

Are there any tricks I should know of---clips, hidden screws, etc...or is it fairly straight forward with a few exposed screws? Does one end need to come out first or anything like that?
It comes out butt first. Redfish has it pretty well. I have trouble getting up in the dash, so I remove the A/C vent assembly and the ash tray assembly. If you have an illuminated ashtray, it is important that the battery is disconnected first.

If you decide to remove the front speaker, lights in the dash may be visible through the abandoned grille. I took mine out, for now, and put a black painted piece of a tissue box in its place. The front speaker is mounted in a frame and held on to the dash by two stamped nuts. They are very much like the nuts that hold on the defroster vents and in the same general location. As in life, make sure which nuts you have in your grip before you go twisting on them.

Also, is the original AM radio power cable in the dash compatible with new radios or is it some strange old-school connection? Any replies are appreciated. Thanks a lot.

The power connection to the radio is a proprietary connector. I crimped a female "blade" type connector to the power lead wire on my newer radio, put a little electrical tape around it, and jammed it onto the blade connected to the red wire of the OEM radio lead. It has been working without a hiccup.

I've had a problem with alternator noise in the radio (high pitched whine). I cured it by using a big-***, old-school choke coil (from the 8-track days) on the antenna lead.

For dash pad removal, must remove instrument cluster and glove box liner to get access to screws. Don't need to pull windshield.

Great. Thanks man. I'll probably take a crack at this during the weekend. I'm guessing the antenna connector is universal???

Yeah my harness had a connecter for the red/orange. I brought the yellow memory wire to there and male/femaled it to disconnect in the same location.

I crawled under the dash and took a shot at this yesterday. I removed the ashtray and the drop-down door it sits in that's painted the same color as the dash(Is this the hanger or the piece above it with the light connected to it?). I also tried to remove the piece with the lightbulb that is directly under the radio, between the ashtray and the radio casing. I removed the 4 screws, but couldn't wiggle it out of the opening, and didn't want to force it. I removed the two pieces of bracket hardware--the hex head screw that mounts from underneath and the phillips screw that mounts from behind with the head facing the front of the car. After doing so, I am able to move the radio up and down, but it will not slide towards the firewall at all. The only other hardware I can see are the six or so 1/4" hex heads that are screwed into the casing of the radio on the sides and back.

What's holding me back here? Is the radio screwed in on the underside of the casing, above the ash tray light? Is it the knobs? I can't see how they are preventing me from taking the radio out. I'm sure it's easier to access everything with the radio out, but all I need to get at are the wires. I'm leaving the radio in the dash and mounting my aftermarket one on the floor. The only connection I saw exposed was the antenna. Is it possible to get at the wires without pulling the radio, or am I almost there? Once again, any help is appreciated. Thanks a lot.

There are nuts on the shaft stems behind the knobs.There is a rear support attached with one nut to back of the radio. It drops down behind the ashtray hanger and attached to the dash itself with one screw. That's what is prevnting removal of the ashtray hanger.
You'll probably find the signal flasher is attached to right side of the ashtray hanger.
All of the radios connections are on its left side. Still not easy to get to with the radio in position.

I might have missed something, but isn't there a flat nut under the volume and tuning control knobs? My '68 'Cuda already had the radio removed when I bought it. Anyway, here is the '68 factory manual description:

1- Disconnect battery ground cable.
2- Remove control knobs from front of radio.

On air conditioned models, remove the two outlet duct retaining nuts and remove duct. It is also necessary to remove the right defroster hose and hose bracket from back of radio.

3- Remove bottom screw from radio mounting bracket.
4- Remove left defroster tube.
5- Loosen top screw on radio mounting bracket and remove bracket.
6- Disconnect speaker and antenna leads.
7- Remove mounting nuts from front of radio.
8- Remove radio bezel.
9- Lower radio and disconnect radio power feed cable.
10- Remove radio from under instrument panel.

I removed the bracket and hardware that you spoke of Redfish. I'm not sure where to look for the shaft stem. My dials are vertical scrolling wheels(similar to the scrolling wheel on your mouse) not necessarily knobs. The only other controls are the station presets which are pull out to set and push in to change. I posted a link to a picture of the radio below.

When I try to move the radio, it does feel like it is mounted in the front underside of the radio. I can move the rear of the radio up and down, but that's about it. Like I said, I removed the four screws to the ash tray light housing, but there doesn't seem to be a space large enough to slide it out anywhere so I can access the underside of the radio. I'll give it a try again tomorrow. Thanks for the replies.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...ge=5&ndsp=44&ved=1t:429,r:8,s:151&tx=56&ty=84

Uggh. you never mentioned it was a thumb wheel radio. If there is a screw through the bezel just right of the wiper switch, remove it. It goes clear though that radios front support. If that screw isn't visible the bezel will need to come off.
I'm working from memory here. I cant recall there being more than 4 screws in the ashtray hanger. Unless you also have the 68 type dash with lower dash pads. That ashtray hanger is made different. Might be 2 more screws pointed left and right in that one. My memory sux. These situations are why I so often recommend buying the service manual for particular make/model.

I hear you about the manual. I'm about to go and work on it. I'll look for a screw near the bezel. The metal piece that houses the ash tray light only had 4 screws(which I removed) and is totally loose now. I just can't understand how to pull it. I don't see a space large enough to slide it out anywhere. I don't want to force it and bend it out of the space. I'll get back to you and let you know what happens. Thanks again.

-
Back