Adapter rings??

-

magnumdust

Reaction score
Has anyone used one of these on ebay?

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/SuperFlow-Bell-Housing-Adapter-Ring-Chrysler-5-187-/160256827800?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item25500d2198&vxp=mtr"]Superflow Bell Housing Adapter Ring Chrysler 5 187" | eBay[/ame]

I thinking of putting together parts for a 4spd swap, but i want to do an OD, but have the option to put a non-od 4spd in there down the road.(when i can spring for a gear vendors OD)

It's only slightly more involved, but you can get different input bearing retainers that will fit to limit the need for adapters. I had a non O/D 4 speed in an O/D housing that used a factory input retainer. It's a fairly rare piece though and fetches a slight premium over the more plentiful sizes. I got mine from Wildcat salvage in the Northwest (Washington or Oregon I think). Wasn't too expensive either, I think $50-70 if I remember right.

It's only slightly more involved, but you can get different input bearing retainers that will fit to limit the need for adapters. I had a non O/D 4 speed in an O/D housing that used a factory input retainer. It's a fairly rare piece though and fetches a slight premium over the more plentiful sizes. I got mine from Wildcat salvage in the Northwest (Washington or Oregon I think). Wasn't too expensive either, I think $50-70 if I remember right.

Can you just swap over the bearing retainers??

I'm thinking of buying a OD bellhousing to use an OD trans, but i don't wanna bite myself in the *** down the road since it looks like the 23 spline non- 4spds use a 4.35" retainer and i can't seem to find an adapter to go from those two sizes or if i just swap the bearing retainer?

do what you want but the small bearing bell housings are the easy and common ones to find. if you find an OD bell, that is the hard part.

I would think that down the road when your ready to install your new trans, it will be easy to find the right bell for it and no need to get an adaptor ring.

the OD bells used to be a dime a dozen and lately they have become hot real estate and have gone up in price and people have them but most of the time people wont give them up.

the small bearing ones were the same as 3 speeds so those are way easier to find and around.

Can you just swap over the bearing retainers??

I'm thinking of buying a OD bellhousing to use an OD trans, but i don't wanna bite myself in the *** down the road since it looks like the 23 spline non- 4spds use a 4.35" retainer and i can't seem to find an adapter to go from those two sizes or if i just swap the bearing retainer?

You can see some of the sizes here http://www.brewersperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BR23R. The O/D housing uses the 5.125 OD bearing retainer, but you have to be careful because they made it in two different bolt circles I believe. The smaller bolt circle is what you use on the older non O/D trans to work on an O/D bellhousing, the larger bolt circle is the one that came on O/D transmissions to start with. I don't believe the retainer on any O/D trans will bolt to any non O/D trans, but I could be wrong.

-
Back