Added Grounds For Gauge Lights

-

JGC403

Reaction score
Does anyone have pictures of how they added the extra ground wires to brighten up the lights in the gauge cluster?

Does anyone have pictures of how they added the extra ground wires to brighten up the lights in the gauge cluster?
If you take the panel out. remove each bulb holder and with a pencil eraser, polish the copper strip where it makes contact . Follow the circuit board and you will see a grounding screw on each bulb circuit (some bulbs share a screw) remove each screw and polish that area then reinstall the screw. You can attach a ground wire to the screw that holds the noise filter on ( it's the round thing with the wire sticking out) then connect the other end to a good ground on the car. This will help make up for 40 years of deterioration.

I attach a single ground wire with a ring terminal at one of the lower screws that hold the bezel on the housing. 6 inches away it gets a male/female connector for easy disconnect. The other end of the wire goes to the one screw that holds the fuse box in place.

I don't have any pics, but I attached a ground wire to each bulb in the cluster, using the same screws that hold the circuit board on- there is a screw grounding each bulb to the gauge pod.
I connected all of those wires to one wire and ran that to the car to ground it.

I initially had one wire from the gauge pod to the car, but only the lights closest to the wire were bright- now they all are.

-
Back