Adding a Fan Shroud

-
I believe your theory is correct. I’m running a 190 degree stat. I drilled a 3/16” bleed hole in it. My car runs at 185-195 at cruise and 190-200 in town in 85/90 degree summer weather. Parked and off it climbs to 210 and as soon as it starts drops to 190. I also use a 7# cap and an overflow capture/reuse tank.

Think about which side or top/bottom ur fan would stick out of the shroud if u went to a bigger fan. A 17' fan would cool way better than a 15' . I cut the top out of my shround and built a round /raised top and had it heli arced in , the pass. side is almost to the edge of the shroud .
Did u cut the original mounting flanges off , and put new ones on it ? Mine were sticking out about 9/16" in front of the rad/ before I cut them off. The had four , 1 1/4' alum. angled brackets heli arced on , making the rad. sit flush w/ the cradle . I didn`t even trim the cradle out to expose the tanks on my crossflow , and just lined the 22" wide core up w/ the cradle opening. I could have raised the rad. up a little higher in foresight , and may not have needed the raised fan hump , but --------
-pic before shroud

IMG_0392.JPG.jpeg

Think about which side or top/bottom ur fan would stick out of the shroud if u went to a bigger fan. A 17' fan would cool way better than a 15' . I cut the top out of my shround and built a round /raised top and had it heli arced in , the pass. side is almost to the edge of the shroud .
Did u cut the original mounting flanges off , and put new ones on it ? Mine were sticking out about 9/16" in front of the rad/ before I cut them off. The had four , 1 1/4' alum. angled brackets heli arced on , making the rad. sit flush w/ the cradle . I didn`t even trim the cradle out to expose the tanks on my crossflow , and just lined the 22" wide core up w/ the cradle opening. I could have raised the rad. up a little higher in foresight , and may not have needed the raised fan hump , but --------
-pic before shroud

View attachment 1715370080
pic after shroud

Tried to post a pic of the shroud,,cant uploaqd for some reason , probly ATT&T !!

A quick update on the cooling situation. This week I installed my new CVF V-belt pulleys along with going back and trying the 17" fan. I also went back to the 180* thermostat. It was a lot of changes at one time and the 17" fan hit the top of the inside of the shroud. So i cut a section of the top out (5"x 2") and replaced it with a rounded piece to allow a little extra clearance.
20190731_060315.jpg
20190731_060229.jpg

My buddy welded it up for me and I put it all back together Thursday night and went for a drive. Put about 20 miles on it including driving in town thru light circuit. Temps where about 75* and it was around 7:30 at night so air was cool. Glad to report that for the first time the temps never went above 190*. During the drive while moving it would run at 180-185*. When in traffic and stopped at a light went to 190*.
I decided to give it another try Friday during the day with the sun out and humidity overwhelming and temp was about 83*. After running out of gas on the way to the gas station and walking to get a gas can to fuel the car again, (yes I was pissed) its good to report that the temps stayed the same as the night before.
I think I am finally on the right path!!
I still need do some shroud fitting to make sure I have plenty of clearance but its now time to move on to some other things that need attention!
Thanks and as always comments or suggestions are always appreciated.
Rod

IMG_0469 (3).JPG
A quick update on the cooling situation. This week I installed my new CVF V-belt pulleys along with going back and trying the 17" fan. I also went back to the 180* thermostat. It was a lot of changes at one time and the 17" fan hit the top of the inside of the shroud. So i cut a section of the top out (5"x 2") and replaced it with a rounded piece to allow a little extra clearance.
View attachment 1715373042 View attachment 1715373043
My buddy welded it up for me and I put it all back together Thursday night and went for a drive. Put about 20 miles on it including driving in town thru light circuit. Temps where about 75* and it was around 7:30 at night so air was cool. Glad to report that for the first time the temps never went above 190*. During the drive while moving it would run at 180-185*. When in traffic and stopped at a light went to 190*.
I decided to give it another try Friday during the day with the sun out and humidity overwhelming and temp was about 83*. After running out of gas on the way to the gas station and walking to get a gas can to fuel the car again, (yes I was pissed) its good to report that the temps stayed the same as the night before.
I think I am finally on the right path!!
I still need do some shroud fitting to make sure I have plenty of clearance but its now time to move on to some other things that need attention!
Thanks and as always comments or suggestions are always appreciated.
Rod

That's what I`m talking about !

-
Back