Adding AC System

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
I stumbled onto a good deal on eBay for a full system from a Valiant but it is quickly getting out of my reach so my question is there a cheap alternative to something like vintageair.com? Can I pull it from a late model car or any place I can find the parts cheap.

Are you looking for something for that Barracuda in your avatar?

Yes for the Barracuda. I would really like to be in a 200 to 300 range. I realize new is not an option but used may be. I am hoping I might be able to only buy new the specific parts for my car like the belt and mounting bracket for the compressor. I realize there may be more that needs to be bought new just an example.

Well I did not mean 200-300 is my top end just where I would like to be. I just really do not want to pay 1600 dollars.

If you are looking for a stock set-up, you ought to be able to pick up a virtually complete stock system - underdash components, hoses, condenser, compressor, pulleys, etc for $300 or less. The hardest thing to find if not included seems to be the dash bezel for the AC pushbuttons. I bought 2 set-ups for my Dart and Barracuda, both unfortunately without the Ac bezel. It took me over 3 years to find them (and then without looking at all was able to buy 1 more of each). If you find a used set-up, you'll probably want to get the drier rebuilt if you're looking for a stock look. It's horizontal rather than vertically mounted. I'd want to get new hoses made up. Also you'll most likely need a new switch as the vacuum nipples tend to break off. There are some mods to be made on the stock non-AC firewall, PM me for more info. I've done this to my 65 Dart 'vert

Okay so I found a local guy who has all the underhood stuff for a good price. He does not have the evaporator for use in the car. So my question is what can I do to resolve that? Do I need a factory evaporator or can I use an aftermarket with factory correct underhood stuff?

Okay so I found a local guy who has all the underhood stuff for a good price. He does not have the evaporator for use in the car. So my question is what can I do to resolve that? Do I need a factory evaporator or can I use an aftermarket with factory correct underhood stuff?

I suppose you might be able to use some kind of aftermarket under dash stuff with the factory engine compartment stuff. It would probably be better to use the stock evaporator/heater combination. Have you considered using a knee knocker with the factory under hood stuff? It would make the under dash installation a lot easier.

I would love to use the factory stuff but I do not have it and have notbeen very successful finding anyone who does have it.

What is a knee knocker?

What is a knee knocker?
Common term for an aftermarket unit or dealer installed unit that hangs from the dash. It has the evaporator and controls built in and doesn't interfere with the factory heater or heater controls. Tried to find a picture on the site but wasn't successful.

lol 65 Dartman Sorry I got a little excited.

Living down here in HELL (Also known as Georgia) the heat and humidity makes it near unbearable to drive the Barracuda in anything but mild weather.

The heat and humidity can get like that here in Virginia which is why all 3 65s are getting AC. Will put all the factory AC stuff to good use!

Plugger340 that looks perfect. Fits the interior very nicely. Are you in the market to sell or donate? :)

The pros and cons of those under dash units...
They can be noisey even with a good fan motor.
They can drip cold water on your accerator foot even with a condensate drain.
They can be attached to a piece milled under hood set up.
With r12 freon they can blow snow flakes out the vents and make your left leg ache with ice cold air.
With todays 134A freon, their clamped hoses cant hold the pressures required to get air that cold but still a heck of a lot better than no a/c
Bottom line ... I would install it with the piece milled under hood components rather than spend a mint on the factory correct stuff which includes old school compressor designs.

Thank you for the pros and cons. So far my investment has been minimal. As for the blowing on the leg yechh. Hopefully my dash is high enough that wont be to much of an issue.

-
Back