Adding ac to my ‘67 Dart

-

DartGuy67

Reaction score
Any input would be appreciated. I have access to a ‘73 scamp with factory ac. I see where the firewalls are different, but I was wondering if it would be worth the effort to swap it to my ‘67?
Concerns:will the 73 unit physically fit my ‘67? The control panel-is different also
Will the unit clear my factory console?
Would it be better to use a classic air unit, or similar? I would switch to a sanden compressor and parallel condenser if I would swap.

If it was me I would go with the easiest path even if I ended up spending a bit more.

If you are going to use a non stock compressor then none on the under hood parts will help you out.

Assuming the under dash unit will fit, you have to figure out the controls, and firewall mods.

find a 67-69 or earlier car . Much better fit

100_0015.JPG

73 is a totally different set-up than a 72-older. Much better with an aftermarket A/C set-up...

Go with the Classic Auto Air Perfect fit unit. The unit works flawlessly. The instructions left a little to be desired, but hopefully they have fixed that. Unless you are a really good mechanic and fabricator, I think you will find that putting the 73 unit into a 67 if far more work than desired.

I have a 69 B body that is a factory AC car. Every part in the AC system including the entire heater box and core needed to be rebuilt or replaced
I went with a complete classic air setup which included new controls heater box and core and every part I needed
It was fairly easy to install and worked great. I did have a problem with the heater control valve after about a year and needed to replace that
The tech advice wasn't bad and I found the instructions good

I put a 73 in a 72. Cut out and replaced a bit of the firewall so the 73 bolted in. It all just bolted in but I have yet to get the 73 system to work with a damn. It seems like the evaporator is being starved and the superheat is always wrong. Have a 68 Coronet and 66 Valiant that freeze you out. I recently learned that the 73 evaporator is a part year only design. It was changed in late 73 and stayed the same till 76. That partial year system does not have aftermarket replacements. I am believing that the 73 design is flawed. I have a 74 box with the newer evaporator design I plan to hack in for test this summer. My recommendation is stay away from that unicorn 73 design.

-
Back