Adding fender signals to my Dart

-

JimK

Reaction score
My 69 Dart didn't come with fender signals and the engine/light harness doesn't have the pigtails for them but I would like to put signals on the car. I have an engine/light harness from a 68 Dart that has the pigtails for fender signals. Before I go through the trouble, what I would like to ask is if I were to unwrap the tape on the 68 harness where the pigtails are, are the other ends of the wires able to be disconnected from wherever they go without having to do any cutting of the wires? I would prefer to not have to cut and splice wires if I can help it as I would like to try and make the signals look like they came on the car as the factory would have installed them. Or would I be better off just getting a 69 harness that has the pigtails in it? Also, I don't really want to try and use the 68 harness in my car as it is a small block/non-AC harness and my 69 is a six cylinder/AC harness.

Tie into your front signal bulb wires right behind the socket where it's easy to get to and use that to light the fender indicators.
Use a test light to verify that you have the right wire. :D
The indicators on my Dart ground to the fender surface with a small metal contact on the bottom of them. (meaning there has to be bare metal under them)
You could get creative and make a ground wire for them easy enough though, so you don't have to remove paint.

I am adding fender turn signals to my 65 Dart wagon (which never came with them) using 66 Barracuda fender turn signals. The 66 used a jumper harness to connect the regular turn signals to the fender ones.
IMG_6909.JPG

The 65 engine/light harness uses different connectors so what I did was fashion a jumper harness to be compatible with the 65 turn signal connectors and the pigtail for the fender turn signal. No picture of that as all the wiring is in storage till I need it.

Tie into your front signal bulb wires right behind the socket where it's easy to get to and use that to light the fender indicators.
Use a test light to verify that you have the right wire. :D
The indicators on my Dart ground to the fender surface with a small metal contact on the bottom of them. (meaning there has to be bare metal under them)
You could get creative and make a ground wire for them easy enough though, so you don't have to remove paint.
I did it this way too. also soldered a ground wire on the housing of the round lights them selves, (JUST MAKE SURE THE NUT WILL STILL SLIP OVER IT) I like grounds. put them in the fenders also (68 form S) since I run a fiberglass pin on hood. I likem !!

I'm not sure about Dart but... When they added fender top signals to 68 b'cuda they also relocated some of the wires at the bulkhead connection ( different from 67 ). I'm not sure why. Must have been some reason. Maybe the wires to fender top signals came from inside the cabin, parallel instead of series circuitry, or so it couldn't possibly burn with park lamp due to a ground fault condition or cause all turn signal failure. Who knows?
I still haven't figured out what was the real world need/practical purpose for a fender top signal, except for those on VW Beetle that faced traffic. Anyway... if you just gotta have them, cut and splice at the front fixtures would be the easiest route.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about Dart but... When they added fender top signals to 68 b'cuda they also relocated some of the wires at the bulkhead connection ( different from 67 ). I'm not sure why. Must have been some reason. Maybe the wires to fender top signals came from inside the cabin, parallel instead of series circuitry, or so it couldn't possibly burn with park lamp due to a ground fault condition or cause all turn signal failure. Who knows?
I still haven't figured out what was the real world need/practical purpose for a fender top signal, except for those on VW Beetle that faced traffic. Anyway... if you just gotta have them, cut and splice at the front fixtures would be the easiest route.

On the Dart they literally are tied right into the front signal wires up at the radiator support area.
There is no way they can light because of anything but turn signals, as all you would be doing is splitting off the signal wire to light a second bulb as the signals flash.

I have some really viewable indicators on the dash so I don't really need fender mounted, but they are just such a one of a kind thing it makes them pretty cool.
I get comments on them all the time.

I didn't include the turn signal indicators in my homemade gauge cluster, so I do need them since I probably won't be able to hear the flasher clicking over the dual 3" exhaust...
Also my fenders have the holes already. Hope I can find them in the boxes of parts that came with the car ;)

On the Dart they literally are tied right into the front signal wires up at the radiator support area.
There is no way they can light because of anything but turn signals, as all you would be doing is splitting off the signal wire to light a second bulb as the signals flash.

I have some really viewable indicators on the dash so I don't really need fender mounted, but they are just such a one of a kind thing it makes them pretty cool.
I get comments on them all the time.
same here, I thot they were cool back when I first saw a set on a 69 barracuda. my car is rewired, "no bulkhead connector".

-
Back