Adding light package option on a 68 Barracuda

-

Barracuda Bum

Reaction score
I have a 68 Barracuda that came without the light package from the factory. I'd like to add it. I have already installed a trunk light in the vehicle, that was a piece of cake.

So I'm looking to add a light for the Ignition Key, Glove box, and a Map Light. I believe I have all the hardware and wiring harness to do the job, but after looking under the dash I didnt see any extra electrical connectors to tap into to do the job.

So my first question is would there have been 2 different under dash wiring harnesses from Ma Mopar depending on if you ordered up the light package or not?

If the same harness is used for both where would I tap into the harness to get power to these 3 lights?

I did see a post here saying that the glove box light should be run off the cigarette lighter circuit but there's no extra plug there to tap into.

I have not come across yet a wiring diagram for a 68 Barracuda that shows the light package option. Any electrical diagram help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your help.

I think I have an NOS complete that was not sold at the Nat's last week. will check bins tomorrow

In most cases they would separate a standard connector and add harness with connectors between them. trunk lamp harness is a good example of this practice. So when you pull standard harness connector from lighter well, the add in harness will have another connector for the lighter. If I had to guess where they tapped orange wire... radio dial lamp. No clue where they would tap yellow wire. A 69 wiring diagram may have the answers you seek.

In most cases they would separate a standard connector and add harness with connectors between them. trunk lamp harness is a good example of this practice. So when you pull standard harness connector from lighter well, the add in harness will have another connector for the lighter. If I had to guess where they tapped orange wire... radio dial lamp. No clue where they would tap yellow wire. A 69 wiring diagram may have the answers you seek.

they made a key switch light for 68 barracudas ?? I want one !

yeah 68 up with a plastic switch bezel. 67 didn't have such. Finding a good working delay timer for the lighting package is the high hurdle for some owners.

they made a key switch light for 68 barracudas ?? I want one !

Hell yes - me too!
I also thought about making a custom round LED to insert around the key hole.....with a timer so it stays on 30 seconds after opening the door......

Jeff

Makes sense redfish, but would Just like to see it on a wiring diagram.
Thanks

I drilled a hole in the 67 chrome bezel and modified its bracket just a little for my security system LED. So its blinking/illuminating the switch until the switch is turned to on.

-
Back