Adding new alternator

-

bbeep71

Reaction score
I would like to add a higher output alternator (80a vs 40a) to my 66 Barracuda. I don't want to bypass the ammeter circuit at this time. If I install a new alternator and install a new wire ( leave old alt. wire connected) from alternator output to Batt term. on starter relay and then leave everything else alone, is this a good way to do this. I realize the ammeter will read incorrect if I do this. I already have a Voltmeter connected.

It will work great and since you have a voltmeter, the ammeter readings won't matter.

YUP. This will allow the existing throughputs in the bulkhead connector to share the load. If you don't have some high current stuff -- like a big audio system -- taking power from the interior of the car, you will be good.

Only other issue now, would be the other connections through the bulkhead, ignition, lights, etc. Check your diagram, probe the bulkhead connector with the car running to compare ignition and lights voltage to battery voltage, to make sure there's no/ little drop through the connector.

The stock alt. is 36amps. I'm putting in a MSD Pro billet ign. system (360engine) and I think I'll need more amps. I thought that approx. 80a would be a good output for me to get. Delco 12si is 78a. I could get a Mopar alt. but the one on my 71RR (60a) does not have good output at idle where the Delco's are known to have good output at idle. So, I'm having a hard time deciding which one to use. However, the 36a in there now does not have a problem with output at idle.

-
Back