Adding side marker/indicators?!

-
Thats how id like it to work, parking lights as signals and driving lights, but only have the side indicators come on when using the turn signals
How come? It's so little extra work to have them do two jobs instead of just one for you, serving as both side marker lights (steady-lit whenever the parking/headlights are on so other drivers can see you from side-on) and side turn signal repeaters (flashing with the turn signals whether or not your other lights are on).

Those Alfa markers look slick! Definitely could place those in a way they look pretty stock!

For everyone talking about adding ‘68 markers, it’s pretty easy. I won’t get into the wiring as that’s been covered better than I could and my markers just function as stock. But for adding the ‘68 markers into the body it’s pretty simple. They were flat mounted from the factory, so they don’t need to be recessed unless you want to do the extra work. They’re pretty unobtrusive anyway.

All that has to be done to mount them is to drill a large hole and put a small square notch in it. It can be done on a painted car if you’re careful and don’t need to fill or replace another marker. On mine I was removing the 72+ plastic markers and adding the ‘68 marker.

So you just drill the hole
View attachment 1715958218

Add the notch for the index tab on the marker housing (and weld up the old marker hole if you have one)
View attachment 1715958220

And install the ‘68 markerView attachment 1715958216
View attachment 1715958221
Those look good!

How come? It's so little extra work to have them do two jobs instead of just one for you, serving as both side marker lights (steady-lit whenever the parking/headlights are on so other drivers can see you from side-on) and side turn signal repeaters (flashing with the turn signals whether or not your other lights are on).
ok so youre saying have the side indicators lit all the time while driving like the front parking lights are on at the same time?

Those Alfa markers look slick! Definitely could place those in a way they look pretty stock!

For everyone talking about adding ‘68 markers, it’s pretty easy. I won’t get into the wiring as that’s been covered better than I could and my markers just function as stock. But for adding the ‘68 markers into the body it’s pretty simple. They were flat mounted from the factory, so they don’t need to be recessed unless you want to do the extra work. They’re pretty unobtrusive anyway.

All that has to be done to mount them is to drill a large hole and put a small square notch in it. It can be done on a painted car if you’re careful and don’t need to fill or replace another marker. On mine I was removing the 72+ plastic markers and adding the ‘68 marker.

So you just drill the hole

thanks! your side indicators turned out great
View attachment 1715958218

Add the notch for the index tab on the marker housing (and weld up the old marker hole if you have one)
View attachment 1715958220

And install the ‘68 markerView attachment 1715958216
View attachment 1715958221

This won't work. The light distribution is all wrong and too dim for the front turn signal function, and those reversing lamp housings take only a single-filament bulb, not the double-filament kind you need for a park/turn lamp.
can you explain the light distribution being wrong? is that based on the bulb? can i use the reverse lights housing and maybe gut the insides and put the double filament bulb and wiring in it? thanks

let me dig them out. Since they’re double filament already, they’d probably work just fine as front markers/turn signals

Here you go. The lenses are not NOS but excellent used

CEAB6CF5-C72A-4A2D-893C-543AC9A8439A.jpeg

can you explain the light distribution being wrong?

All vehicle exterior lighting functions are highly specified as to their design, construction, and numerous aspects of performance including light distribution: how much light they send out in what directions—which is determined by the bulb together with the lens and/or reflector optics. It's far more detailed than just "Well, it's a blinking amber light facing front, so it's a front turn signal". We do not get to just declare any ol' light into whatever function we want (unless the goal is to get hit in traffic).

For more detailed info on why ""Yep, that lights up and looks good to me" isn't even close to good enough, see
here.

ok so youre saying have the side indicators lit all the time while driving like the front parking lights are on at the same time?

Yep, and have them flash with the turn signal on their respective side of the car. Two safety upgrades for the price of one.

i was gonna say the dame thing. seems thats the route most take.
Seems like a no brainer to me and the small round fixtures match pretty much any body style on our older cars. But some folks just want to do things the hard way and that's their prerogative. lol

Seems like a no brainer to me and the small round fixtures match pretty much any body style on our older cars. But some folks just want to do things the hard way and that's their prerogative. lol
whats the hard way?

Here you go. The lenses are not NOS but excellent used

View attachment 1715958615
those looks nice! but, i had a bit of good news today. i ordered a front valance from a guy recently (he had a few in his stock). the valance he said he was sending (in a pic) didnt have the turn signal housings, but i got the valance today and he sent me a different valance that came with them!! they are in pretty good shape too! Bonus for me!!

IMG_6392.jpg

All vehicle exterior lighting functions are highly specified as to their design, construction, and numerous aspects of performance including light distribution: how much light they send out in what directions—which is determined by the bulb together with the lens and/or reflector optics. It's far more detailed than just "Well, it's a blinking amber light facing front, so it's a front turn signal". We do not get to just declare any ol' light into whatever function we want (unless the goal is to get hit in traffic).

For more detailed info on why ""Yep, that lights up and looks good to me" isn't even close to good enough, see
here.

thanks for sharing. had no idea so much went into that

Go back and reread post 36.

-
Back