Adding vacuum ports to old Demon carb

-

MopaR&D

Nerd Member
Reaction score
I got an old 750 Mighty Demon that has no vacuum ports. I have a PCV system on my car and would like to have vacuum advance when i drive the car with this carb on it. It will still be my "extra" carb for mainly racing but i'd like the vacuum stuff if possible. Can i drill the base plate similar to the way the new ones are already set up?

I think they make adapter plates that have vacuum ports in them. If you have room for one.

If you want vacuum advance, either way you would want a timed port. Unless you run it on full manifold vacuum.

I saw a few of those spacer plates on Summit but they are all aluminum (if I get one I want it phenolic) and only have a big PCV port no smaller ones although I guess it would be easier to add one there than on the carb. You're right too Bruce I'd still need a ported vacuum source for the vac advance. I'm just wondering if anyone has done this before, the newer carbs that have the fittings have them all on the base plate in one spot it looks like it would be easy to do but I'm not about to ruin a great carb I got for a great price.

I put a vacuum advance slot into an old leanburn TQ that did not have one. I had a spare TQ to use as an example for a starting point. I tell you, putting one in,in the right spot, is kind of a PITA, even for an engine that pulls good vacuum.
As much as I advocate a Vcan for streeters, I'd have to say that retrofitting a port to a carb for a low-vacuum engine,is probably going to be difficult. You will have to have the carb low speed circuits scienced out pretty good, so the butterflies are near to their final parking place. The T-ports will have to be synced up, and the idle timing will have to be really close.Then you will need to know/figure out at exactly when to start the advancing process and when to finish it, in terms of manifold vacuum,translated to throttle opening. Then cut a short slot in very nearly the exact spot it needs to be. And finally adjust the slot upwards and/or downwards to fine tune it.
Yeah, you could just drill a little hole slightly above the throttle blades and hope for the best. Then stretch that hole into a slot little by little, over time and miles,to see what happens.
If I already owned that carb, I would try it, cuz I know that the results would be worth it But I am also willing and able to put the effort into it.
Is there any chance that the manufacturer of that carb offers the same or a similar model, that does have a port? Then perhaps they could provide a template of where in the bore,to place it. Such a template would probably save a whole bunch of time and grief.
If not, I wish you every success.

As to adding a PCV port, have you given any thought to installing the port into the intake manifold plenum directly. I've seen them installed that way,into singleplanes in the back, between No's 7 and 8 runners, directly into the plenum area under the carb. I guess for a dualplane it would involve a balance tube.

-
Back