adding vinyl top to 65 cuda

-

Oldschoolcuda

Early-A Body Nerd
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, in process of changing look of my 65 cuda with different wheel tire combo & have been mulling over a vinyl top. Love the look & have all trim pieces from a 66 but do you think it would be sacrilegious to add on a 65 or doesn't matter since mine is far from stock anyway. Thanks for opinions.

Oldschoolcuda

I'm a firm believer in building what you want, the way you want it..... and enjoy it!

The Shelby Dakota is staying stock because i want it to be... The Fury has a 6-pack small block because i wanted it to... my wanna bee will be a stock appearing daily driver one of these years...

I say add it, I like how those look! I have a set of that rare trim from a 66 Cuda but am missing the one stainless trim piece that runs down the A-piller above the driverside wing window...have an extra??

I am also gonna get a full set from a 66 Valiant, I think all the other pieces are different but are the ones that run down the A-pillar the same as a Barracuda? The Valiant is a 2-door and has the full vinyl top where the Cuda had a landau style.

Hey guys, in process of changing look of my 65 cuda with different wheel tire combo & have been mulling over a vinyl top. Love the look & have all trim pieces from a 66 but do you think it would be sacrilegious to add on a 65 or doesn't matter since mine is far from stock anyway. Thanks for opinions.

Oldschoolcuda
I agree- do your car the way you like it- it is nothing that couldn't be undone-

Not 100% positive but pretty sure the a-pillar pieces are the same on cuda and valiant. Will be changing from rallyes to steelies and adding hood scoop. Think a vinyl top would really make the look. Here are couple pics of friends 66 I'm copying somewhat minus decals but with same scoop & vinyl top.

Oldschoolcuda

Attachments

• parts 369.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 106
  • parts 370.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 111
  • parts 375.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 112
Sure, just don't leave it in the sun too much since plastic is the worst choice there. Don't let it go bad or you will get the rust endemic to all original vinyl top cars.

Just a thought you could add the stainless piece that goes over the roof (like the early Dart GT's), and use a different paint color, instead of vinyl. Then you wouldn't have the drawbacks of vinyl to contend with.

What color scheme do you have in mine? Your car looks so good as it is in white.

Thanks for input guys.Might try what a local guy has on his 72 Maverick. He used a magnetized vinyl sheet that local shop customized by somehow bonding vinyl top to magnetic sheet so his top can just be pulled off when you remove trim. Have seen this car & you would have no idea it is done this way. Little skeptical on how it will hold up at road speed though. Here is website with vinyl product.
http://www.magnetking.com/#regularmagnet

Oldschoolcuda

-
Back