Adjustable PCV and oil catch devices?

-
OK I think I get you, I went on the Wagner website and read their FAQ section as well... Come to think of it that could explain why I did have difficulty getting my 360 to idle low enough (it would still run with the idle speed screw/throttle plates all the way closed) and I couldn't get rid of an annoying slight surge at idle regardless of initial timing, idle mixture, RPM etc. almost like it had a persistent vacuum leak. Which it probably did, in a way... holy cow it all makes sense now!! lol

Sounds like it's time to order one up!

Anyone who is running a wideband air fuel ratio kit, the life of your O2 sensor will be shortened if you are burning oil.
I have the Wagner valve and I also thought, that I was the only Guy to put out big bucks for a PCV Valve!
And I'm Poor, Honest, and Jewish. :lol:

Last edited:
Anyone who is running a wideband air fuel ratio kit, the life of your O2 sensor will be shortened if you are using oil.
I have the Wagner valve and I also thought, that I was the only Guy to put out big bucks for a PCV Valve!
Just a guess on my part but I think our club may grow exponentially when the benefits are discovered by a wider audience. And I have a wideband O2 sensor on my new build.
You know, just wanting to get everything the little engine will do and all----------------:)

Just a guess on my part but I think our club may grow exponentially when the benefits are discovered by a wider audience. And I have a wideband O2 sensor on my new build.
You know, just wanting to get everything the little engine will do and all----------------:)

I know I was ridiculed by the gang but I had done my research. Worth every penny.

Well mine is installed and looks like this with the Moroso oil separator installed and everything tuned. Test driving today or tomorrow.

Wagnerinst1.JPG

Wagnerinst2.JPG

Anyone who is running a wideband air fuel ratio kit, the life of your O2 sensor will be shortened if you are using oil.
O2 on left side, evac on right...

Learned a lot today! After installing my Wagner PCV valve and Moroso oil separator on a new engine with no miles on it, just cam break-in I put about 125 miles on my Barracuda the last couple days. Today was service the car day and just for kicks I emptied the oil separator catch can. Below is a photo of what I caught, a little less than an ounce that would have gone through the engine if I didn't have this setup. I will be checking it every 200 miles or so and hope it gets better. In any case, a change well made for me----:)

oilsepcatch.jpg

Nice! :thumbsup:

Looks like it's working! With a new engine like that it should drop off some too, I know I'm not getting as much oil out of mine as I was when I installed it.

I may have to get one of those adjustable pcv's yet. I know I'm pretty close but it does make a difference.

About a year ago I wanted to get an idea of how much oil went through the pcv system, so I rigged something up which surprised me.
The daily driven Dart managed to halfway fill up a brake-vacuum bleeder canister with water and oil sludge in just a couple of weeks driving.

IMG_3853_zpstkralxwa.jpg

About a year ago I wanted to get an idea of how much oil went through the pcv system, so I rigged something up which surprised me.
The daily driven Dart managed to halfway fill up a brake-vacuum bleeder canister with water and oil sludge in just a couple of weeks driving.

View attachment 1715027358
Wow, if we only knew huh! I will be setting my Comet 289 C4 with the same setup as my Barracuda.

View attachment 1715027358

That looks like a lot of short trips, you're collecting a little bit of oil and a bunch of condensation from the engine not spending a lot of time at temperature. I get that in the winter, during the summer I mostly just get oil.

Wintertime driving gives quite some white sludge in the engine.
Now as the temps are rising again overhere the sludge is pretty much gone again.

I used to select the PCV with the 'most leakage' which seemed to help a tiny bit keeping the amount of sludge tolerable.

Now these days I'm wondering if I can rig up a digitally adjustable/controlled pcv system with the Megasquirt ECU...

Wintertime driving gives quite some white sludge in the engine.
Now as the temps are rising again overhere the sludge is pretty much gone again.

I used to select the PCV with the 'most leakage' which seemed to help a tiny bit keeping the amount of sludge tolerable.

Now these days I'm wondering if I can rig up a digitally adjustable/controlled pcv system with the Megasquirt ECU...

It's possible. The MS can do impressive things if you know what you are doing.

This topic had me take another look at the PCV valve in my 318.
I had once selected the valve which had the most flow at idle so it would keep white sludge at a minimum during the colder winter months.

Now the cold overhere is fairly gone, I got out my stash of pcv valves again and some 'fresh' ones I located recently.
I've got 4 the plastic valves and 3 '60s metal valves which seem to have a longer throw into them. Only one plastic valve had a readable number on it.

However when testing a few of soft sprung ones, none of them was able to limit airflow during engine idle. My engine idles with 23-24 in.Hg, so it should be well able to pull any pcv valve shut I would think.
In the end I installed a metal pcv valve I had around which had a smaller entry hole, about 3/4rd the size of the other regular pcv valves and felt to have the softest spring inside.

Learned a lot today! After installing my Wagner PCV valve and Moroso oil separator on a new engine with no miles on it, just cam break-in I put about 125 miles on my Barracuda the last couple days. Today was service the car day and just for kicks I emptied the oil separator catch can. Below is a photo of what I caught, a little less than an ounce that would have gone through the engine if I didn't have this setup. I will be checking it every 200 miles or so and hope it gets better. In any case, a change well made for me----:)

View attachment 1715027071

Do you have a baffle under the elbow in the valve cover? That is a large amount of oil for 125 miles.

Be interesting to see if it reduces after some more run time!

Do you have a baffle under the elbow in the valve cover? That is a large amount of oil for 125 miles.

Be interesting to see if it reduces after some more run time!
Yes the valve covers are well baffled. I have to turn down the valve a bit. I wanted it a bit strong at first.

-
Back