Adjustable rear spring shackles

-

scampy

Reaction score
We have a 72 scamp with 3 hole adjustable rear shackles and s.s springs,what affect will moving the position have on the vehicle.I'm guessing that moving to a lower hole will raise rear of vehicle.Also wondering if this will change the load on the spring in a different position ie moving the position to top hole will increase spring rate or decrease.Car has on side in middle and one side in top but will launch straight on the strip.
Thanks

my advice would be to get rid of them all together and get some factory shackles. those things are junk in my opinion and offer next to zero stability around corners. theres 3 holes for nothing more than jacking the car up. I don't see why you would need them with new ss springs anyway

my advice would be to get rid of them all together and get some factory shackles. Those things are junk in my opinion and offer next to zero stability around corners. Theres 3 holes for nothing more than jacking the car up. I don't see why you would need them with new ss springs anyway

x2

We have a 72 scamp with 3 hole adjustable rear shackles and s.s springs,what affect will moving the position have on the vehicle.I'm guessing that moving to a lower hole will raise rear of vehicle.Also wondering if this will change the load on the spring in a different position ie moving the position to top hole will increase spring rate or decrease.Car has on side in middle and one side in top but will launch straight on the strip.
Thanks

I wouldn't use them. they offer no cornering stability. Also by changing the ride height position on those you change the differential pinion angle. This can cause some serious vibrations at speed, rough launches, and potentially stress the u-joints to the point of catastrophic failure.

I should be clearer,this is a drag car only for most part and springs are in the car already so unknown age,was just kinda wondering if moving to the top hole does anything for spring rate or for the launch of the car as 1 is in the middle and 1 is in the top and was just kinda weird but car sits basically level in rear.

i would take them out ASAP especially if its a drag car. high speeds with low air pressure and wrinkle wall slicks can get hairy as it is. you add in a bunch of side to side deflection into the mix and your looking for trouble. that is my .02. take it or leave it.

These are old school and where used to jack the *** end of the car up to stuff big tires under it.

These are old school and where used to jack the *** end of the car up to stuff big tires under it.

X10........................ and oh, don't forget the chrome/ orange rear axle cover!!! LOL

6048d.2563.jpg

i038635.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm91ZQ0CVe4"]T&L redneck clip - YouTube[/ame]

Step One: Remove adjustable rear shackles.
Step Two: Install factory shackles.
Step Three: Drive to the river.
Step Four: Throw adjustable rear shackles in the river.

Step five: you and best friend both cut palm with butterfly knife and hold hands in solumn vow to never use extended rear shackles unless the government collapses and you find yourself in a mad Max road warrior situation.

-
Back