Adjustable rocker arm not drilled for oil hole....

-

got6pak

Reaction score
Has anyone seen this or am I the only lucky one? One of my rocker arms doesn't have the oil hole drilled on the top. I've since removed it and drilled it myself. No damage at all to the rocker or shaft. Just curious if anyone else has seen this.

56444635357__6EFAF4AE-7CD6-40BB-B25E-576AC6E459F9.JPG

No, i have not seen that on 273 rocker. that hole is for lubrication of rocker tip, valve stem tip, keepers, retainer and spring, so if there is any damage, or excessive wear you might have to look further.

rustycowll69
Ya, I haven't seen anything like it either. Like I stated in the post, there wasn't any damage to the rocker tip or anything else. I was surprised to see no damage.
xLURKxDOGx
Like the post stated, I have since removed it and drilled it myself. Rocker tip showed no damage. Just wondering if anyone has seen this before or if it was a factory mistake, which it appears to be.

Has anyone seen this or am I the only lucky one? One of my rocker arms doesn't have the oil hole drilled on the top. I've since removed it and drilled it myself. No damage at all to the rocker or shaft. Just curious if anyone else has seen this.

View attachment 1715287894

That can easily happen on an machine line... A drill bit that small will break easily... All it takes is the drill bit to break and the ones after it do not get the oil hole drilled...

If the machine operator does not catch all of them, some of them can make it off the line...

krazykuda That must have been what happened. I bought the car with rebuilt engine in it. Glad I opened it up and happened to see that.

krazykuda That must have been what happened. I bought the car with rebuilt engine in it. Glad I opened it up and happened to see that.

We used to get connecting rods with no squirt hole in the engine line that I worked on... The drill would break easily and then if the machine operator didn't catch it, many got to the engine assembly line...

They would get caught in our short block test as it monitored the oil pattern and they could see the change in the pattern if the squirt hole was not there...

However that was 30 years after these were made and we had better technology available to catch them... Back in those days, they would have test stands on the end of the engine assembly line and would start them and run them for approx 5 minutes...

If we would get a batch of them, we would have the rod machine line bring people up to the assembly line and check all of the connecting rods for squirt holes before we would assemble them until they could give us sorted stock from the machine line...

The problem is 100% manual inspection is only 80% effective... 20% could get through...

That's why it's good to check all of your parts before you assemble them....

you may also have a later rocker with the oil hole drilled under the rocker which is actually better if higher rpm is anticipated
you can drill the under the rocker arm(s) squirt holes also
I also recommend oil through the pushrods and lifters with any spring pressure- smoked pushrods have always been a problem

-
Back