Adjustable Rocker Arms

-

ir3333

Reaction score
Who have used stock 273 adjustable rockers on their small block
Usually inexpensive...are they a worthwhile durable option?
..there are also some cheap aluminum ?

The 273 rockers are very durable and are likely a bit closer to the correct ratio than the stamped hydraulics. But the ratio still isn't as accurate or consistent as a good, quality aftermarket rocker. The worst thing about them are their OEM adjusters. They can back off because of no lock-nut. Spotfacing for the adjuster and using aftermarket adjusters is a good upgrade. As for "cheap aluminum", you get what you pay for. I use Harland Sharp, but there are some adjustable aluminum & steel rockers better than 273s. I just haven't run any others.

I have them in the 273 obviously but have been considering them for 69 340 build as well.
Subscribed.
Good info loco.

Hughes aluminum.. I have had no issue with them.. Not sure how inexpensive you want them. $740 for a kit with shafts.

I have ran them in all kinds of small blocks and had no problems, But you need to make sure the adjusters are a tight fit so they don't move. I can also grind the tip end so the are nice like new, I have also run them without the banana groove shafts with no problems. I don't use them with cams over .550 lift.

I wouldn't hesitate to use them as a low buck alternative. I would chose them over some of the low buck aluminum stuff out there. I also ran them for years on my small blocks with the upgrade Locomotion suggested for the adjusters. Never had a rocker arm failure from a 500 lift hyd to a 600 lift roller.

You can use a cutter to mill/surface the top side for a jam nut on some to help lock a jam nut.

11:40's was the round about number in the late 80's with them using a Solid MP grind. I have a set now on the 72 and will use them until I get bored and put my Cranes on it but that is down the road....

Yes, use them....

JW

I swear by them. Had a set in my old 340. I used the Direct Connection adjusters & nuts. The 340 had triple valve springs, a .585 lift solid cam, 13:1 compression & a 7800 rpm shift point. Never broke a rocker, bent a lot of pushrods though.
My current 273 has a .551 / .531 lift cam & I'm using the original to the motor, redressed rockers with ARP adjusters

11:40's was the round about number in the late 80's with them using a Solid MP grind. I have a set now on the 72 and will use them until I get bored and put my Cranes on it but that is down the road....

Yes, use them....

JW
the 273 rocker has way less mass to move. they are good for any cam. the aluminum rockers have more mass over the valve, requires more spring pressure to keep valve float away.

well that's great to hear.
I have picked out and polished the tips on what i think are the 16 best from 3 sets i had accumulated over the years...and the adjusters are extemely tight.

I don't know what spring your going to run but check your rocker clearance on the retainer and spring as a precaution. You'll see the rocker is already clearanced there but sometimes you need a bit more.

I started out with a .500 lift then went to a .572 and a couple years later went to Isky rockers, but never had a problem. I was also running a double spring with a damper.

I swear by them. Had a set in my old 340. I used the Direct Connection adjusters & nuts. The 340 had triple valve springs, a .585 lift solid cam, 13:1 compression & a 7800 rpm shift point. Never broke a rocker, bent a lot of pushrods though.
My current 273 has a .551 / .531 lift cam & I'm using the original to the motor, redressed rockers with ARP adjusters

Your old 340 and my old one were similar in the Valvetrain. I did use adjusters with Lock Nuts though and am sure the set I have in use now are the same but have not verified it yet....

JW

I used them on my stroker the first year til I could afford the Hughes rockers. Still have them and hope to use them again some day.

-
Back