Adjustable strut rods making terrible sound 74 Swinger

-
Yes I agree it does not appear to be the strut rods. I have not checked the brakes. I did not notice the suspension bottoming out

Whatever is making that noise it’s loose. As in, you can probably grab it with your hands and replicate that movement/sound

I actually kinda doubt it's anything in the suspension. Check the calipers, it kinda sounds like brake stuff to me.

Last edited:
Whatever is making that noise it loose. As in, you can probably grab it with your hands and replicate that movement.

I actually kinda doubt it's anything in the suspension. Check the calipers, it kinda sounds like brake stuff to me.
You were correct with the suspension bottoming out. I brought her up a turn and a half on the adjustment bolts and she rides real nice.. now to nail down the noise..small victories ✌️

George, did you follow our instructions and COMPLETELY unload the torsion bars to adjust the strut rods? That's a VERY important step. It sounds to me like you have the lower control arm bushings in a bind.

Shocks are stock oem type. I had everything loose and hanging when the suspension was assembled. Of course the shop I took it to was to finish the suspension setbup along with alignment.

Also i don't think its lca because I lossened ip and rechecked them. It only makes sound during soft to med braking..I m thinking brake pad rattle?

Sorry that I am late to the chat I was off this past week. I would agree with many of the post above that the noise is not coming from the strut rod. I would definitely re check all your suspensions mounting points. To me it sounds more shock like. I would check that the top pin on the front shocks is centered in the bushings and not making contact with the edge of the hole it passes through on the vehicle. Once verified would wd40 each one of the components on your car one at a time until the noise changes or goes away. Keep us updated.

James From
PST

Sorry that I am late to the chat I was off this past week. I would agree with many of the post above that the noise is not coming from the strut rod. I would definitely re check all your suspensions mounting points. To me it sounds more shock like. I would check that the top pin on the front shocks is centered in the bushings and not making contact with the edge of the hole it passes through on the vehicle. Once verified would wd40 each one of the components on your car one at a time until the noise changes or goes away. Keep us updated.

James From
PST

Thanks for chiming in James!

You know listening to it again it might be shocks. Definitely a couple things for him to check still but I really doubt it's the strut rods

I am not an expert here but it looks to me like the passenger side pivot pin is not tightened and is rattling. Maybe the threads bottomed out or a washer is missing. No easy way to check without loosening the torsion bar. Of course I could be totally off. Just my 2 cents. The frequency of the rattle matches the movement of the passenger lower control arm in video 2

Pretty simple to isolate. Did it make the noise BEFORE you made the strut rod swap? If not, then it's either the strut rods, or something they are causing, like putting the lower control arm(s) in a bind. I agree with Kent. The movement of the lower control arm perfectly matches the frequency of the sound. Only trouble is, the shock is also attached to the lower control arm. I would drop the front shocks off it and drive it to eliminate them.

The shocks are a good one to rule out.
I'd also be looking closely at the pivot pin just to make sure the pin is completely seated into the bushing too.
The adjustment on the strut rods is quite different side-to-side. I'd be tempted to take 4+ turns out of the passenger side and see what happens with the noise. I could see an alignment shop improperly adjusting them to achieve more caster or matching caster and leaving the lower bushing in a bind.
But shocks still makes sense, and my stereo speakers on my desktop PC seem to suggest the noise is coming from off-screen too, but I don't hardly trust that.

I really don't think it's a bushing. That's a metal on metal clunking/rattling kind of noise. And it while it makes noise when the suspension travels, it also makes noise when the suspension isn't traveling, and the noises do not always match the up/down motion of the suspension. I wouldn't rule out all the suspension just yet, but whatever is making that noise is really loose.

I really don't think it's a bushing. That's a metal on metal clunking/rattling kind of noise. And it while it makes noise when the suspension travels, it also makes noise when the suspension isn't traveling, and the noises do not always match the up/down motion of the suspension. I wouldn't rule out all the suspension just yet, but whatever is making that noise is really loose.

That noise almost sounds like a swinging exhaust pipe, or something hitting a torsion bar to me. Could be any one of a dozen things in that space though.

I'm confused. Are we pursuing a squeek, or a rattle? My computer wouldn't run those videos.

That noise almost sounds like a swinging exhaust pipe, or something hitting a torsion bar to me. Could be any one of a dozen things in that space though.

Headers on an exhaust pipe? Happens on braking and acceleration, bad engine mount?

Lotsa possibilities still.

I'm confused. Are we pursuing a squeek, or a rattle? My computer wouldn't run those videos.

Eh, more of a rattle/clunking. Couple of metal pieces banging up against each other. Not a squeak.

I agree. I'm guessin the lower control arm hitting the K frame.

I hear thuds, bangs, and a squeak/groan (in video 2). Definitely lots of possibilities still.

I made mine and they have no f&b movement in the LRC by changing the front pivot point. Plus I never hear squeaks, I’m deft

-
Back