Adjustable Strut Rods

-

Tulsa Time

One MOPAR Fan
Reaction score
What will new aftermarket adjustable strut rods do for my car? The factory ones on my car have new rubber, so their tight. I'm sure the manufacturers claims are true but will I see an dramatic overall improvement with the forward and aft play? Mostly why are they adjustable?

adjustable strut rods will allow the lower control arm to move up and down more freely ...

and Eliminates dynamic alignment changes........

I have them on a 71 dart and 71 demon....along with upper control arms..the front end movement and alignment is great

The reason I use them is because I'm using poly lca bushings which don't allow the lca to seat properly into the Kframe with stock struts. By using the adjustable struts, you can adjust the clearance and suck the lca into the Kframe where it belongs.

Helpful answers.
I have painted a new mental picture on how the adj struts work and good to know if planning on going with poly lca bushings. My car and and buddy's 70 Challenger need front suspension upgrades BAD! and the adjustable rods seemed something new and fan dangled to us. Both cars the front end is shot and I guess I was looking for a cheap band aid to help the high speed loosey goosey no steering-wheel input, roundy bob front-end: handling. I say high speed. I meant his car with the 383. Not so much speed with the slant. Thanks again

The strut rods will not fix your problem with the front ends that need to be rebuilt, they just need to be rebuilt.

As pauly pointed out, their main use is for getting the right strut rod length with aftermarket parts installed. The poly LCA bushings need the strut rods to be the right length to locate the LCA's properly, and that isn't exactly the same length as the factory strut rods. And, most aftermarket strut rod bushings are the wrong thickness, which can cause binding of the LCA in its travel.

The only advantage to the adjustable strut rods is that you can achieve the proper length to keep the LCA's from binding. Once the bars are adjusted at the proper length, the adjustability does nothing for you. Ie, if you could get custom made strut rods that were correct length for your car, they wouldn't need to be adjustable. But making the strut rods adjustable allows them to be produced in mass, so everyone can adjust them to the right length for their car, instead of making one off strut rods for every car out there (factory tolerances and all).

Like "72blueNublu" said it is not a Bandaid fix for a rebuild. I bought a Pair from a Member here called "Ironside", He makes and sells them on this forum,Quality Stuff. There have been Videos (somewhere on here) on how they help the suspension. All my research has shown ME that they are well worth the Money and effort. "AutoXcuda" ,can also shed some light on this subject. Good Luck ! Tim
:thumblef:

-
Back