Adjusting front end height

-

Dan201

Banned
Reaction score
I have never really been into front ends but I got into an accident and had to do a front frame swap on my 74 swinger I swapped the torsion bars at the same time from my parts car same parts number but better condition and the other car had a good ride height left torsion bar to drivers side right torsion to passenger I kept the same k-frame but just unbolted the upper control arms now even with the adjusting bolts maxed out the car sits on the bumpers could this just be an adjustment with the upper control arms they are not set. I don't have the equipment or a level driveway for doing an alignment but I need the front end at a reasonable height to use a towbar to take it to a garage to get a front end alignment done. any ideas what the problem might be? Thanks for any and all help.

Did you have the lower control arms out with the adjuster bolts all the way loose when you took the torsion bars out?

It sounds like you are one flat off on the hex. You may have to loosen the control arm stud nuts too and make sure you pry the socket part of the lower arm down all the way with the front end jacked all the way up before slipping in the torsion bars.

I never touched the bolts on the lower control arms just the uppers I did however put the torsion bars in without the frame being back on the car because I used the k-frame on the new frame to roll it around and put the torsion bars on before I had them on the car and I didn't loosen the adjusting bolts to get the bars in. Thanks that give me a place to start

Its like MGUNER said you have the t-bars a notch out. You will have to loosen the adjuster all the way out and take the t-bars out of the control arms and swing them down then slide the t-bars back in. Then you can adjust the height to ant level you want them at, then re-alligne the front end.

You should need to remove the bump stops so the upper arm drops farther to get the torsion bars in the correct hex location. Its sort of like a slight preload on the bars.

-
Back