Adjusting valves with cold engine

-
Thanks to everyone for all the great tips and info! I'll set 'em at 12/22 cold to take up the slack and then tweak 'em down to 10/20 once I get her back in and warmed up.

... Cold should be about 11 to 12 on the intake, and 21 to 22 on the exhaust. Hot setting with a stock cam is 10 on the intake, and 20 on the exhaust.
I can't really distinguish 2 mils with a feeler gage, so sounds like cold adjustment is also acceptable. My guess is that the 10 & 20 mil specs were pulled out of the air by a Chrysler engineer, probably with Marketing saying "make it an even number". Had they used metric then, I bet they would have spec'ed "0.25 & 0.5 mm". If you adjust your valves annually (or is that "anal-ly"), you could probably get by with 6 mil & 12 mil, and your engine would perform better.

It's widely known that adjusting the valves on a slant six with the engine running is the way to go. Drop the idle down as far as it'll go while still running smooth. Pop the valve cover off and you should get zero oil spillage. I've done this about 10 times and have never noticed oil getting on anything outside of the head. I just use a 1/4" ratchet and short extension. Takes a second to get the rhythm but once you do it goes pretty quick.

One thing, I was adjusting my valves annually and the adjusting screws started to become loose, causing the valves to lose their adjustments far too early. Had to remove the rockers and hammer on them a bit to tighten them around the screws. Has worked ok so far but I would suggest adjusting your valves only when you absolutely need to. If you don't feel the "snap" when you initially turn the screw, it's probably starting to become loose and will fall out of adjustment earlier than anticipated.

make your own open top valve cover and set after running temp for best results and to keep oil from draining down your block and headers lol! heres an old 6 cyl valve cover opened for this exact reason.

That's a pic of a Holden 6 cylinder with an XE/XF Falcon Weber carby on it...and roller rockers too, by the looks of it....possibly, Yella Terra Street Roller Rockers.

-
Back