Advice and Opinions on torque wrenches

-

daves66valiant

68 Dart 340/727:66 Signet Vert 340/5spd: 68 D100
Reaction score
Looking to buy a new torque wrench. I currently have a Crastman 3/8 breakaway type that only goes up to 75lbs. I need one that goes to 100+

What kind of torque wrench do you guys use/prefer and which ones do you like?

Price and quality would be good to know too.

Thanks

I got one from Harbor freight it was on sale. 1/2 in Drive and up to125lbs I think. It's ok, and I have a craftsman torque wrench like yous. I think I will end up going back to sears to get a bigger a 1/2 in torque wrench. The only way to get better is to buy off the tool trucks.

For a do it your selfer, I recommend a good quality beam type. Nothin in the world wrong with them. You could assemble a top fuel engine with one. They work just as good as a click type and actually better than most lower end models.

For a do it your selfer, I recommend a good quality beam type. Nothin in the world wrong with them. You could assemble a top fuel engine with one. They work just as good as a click type and actually better than most lower end models.

I have one of those too. But I have a hard time using it.

The click wrenches are very convenient, no doubt about it. But you really have to be careful of the cheap ones. Not so much that they are not accurate. But the construction of the ratchet head is so cheap that they fall apart pretty easily. Even some of the Craftsman click type SUCK and they do not carry the lifetime warranty of their hand tools. Hell, it's hard to get a hand tool warranted there now. I gotta local Snap On dealer comes by my house every week. Can't beat it. Known him 30 years. He still warrantys stuff I've had just as long...and he comes to ME.

I've read the eBooger's opinion on them. He insists on the beam style as they never go out of calibration. Opinions?

Grant

The beam type has been working well for me. Just need to get one that goes up to 150lbs I guess. Thanks for the input guys.

I've read the eBooger's opinion on them. He insists on the beam style as they never go out of calibration. Opinions?

Grant

They are good, but the thought that they do not go out of calibration is not true. As long as you make sure the pointer is at zero before you begin, you are fine.

If you do get another Craftsman get the Digitork, not the Microtork. I had a couple of the micro's fail after light use. The digitork is still going strong and is accurate. The only high end one I have is my inch pound Snap-on for precision work.

Guys this a tool that you don't want to skimp on. Spend some money and
get a good one. Check with the local tool guys. Mac, Matco and Cornwell.
They are a good choise.You want quality when it come to a torque wrench.
I bought a Snap On back in the 70s when it was cheap. A click type.
If you keep it clean and remember to run down the the setting to the lowest
spot when done it will last forever. Had mine checked by the dealer about
7 years ago. He sent it in and they said it was still right on.
Spend the money and get a good one. You want the engine put together
right, don't you?

You're right about quality, but all of the Snap On click types that have the adjuster on the side with the flip up cover do not require running back down to zero. Only the type with the adjustment on the handle. For someone that only uses a torque wrench every now and then a good quality beam type will be just fine. Note I said good quality.

3/8" and 1/2" drive Snap-On click type torque wrenches. I've had them for about 25 years and only had to have the 3/8" ratchet head rebuilt once after 8 years of daily use. Like Briankaplan I always ran them all the way down and had them checked every 5 years. They never needed adjustment.

I had a beam type and they are hard to read consistantly, you have to make sure the handle on the pivot does not touch the main arm and they are impossible to use in cramped places. The digital ones can't be read in cramped areas either.

JMO is all.

The beam type has been working well for me. Just need to get one that goes up to 150lbs I guess. Thanks for the input guys.

I use a 1/2 drive Craftsman Micro and believe it goes to 225 ft/lbs. Could check but it's raining outside still and I ain't going to the garage.[-(

These are the only ones I use. Clickers go out of calibration and get to the point where you have to throw them away, because they are so far out of spec. I don't have time or money to have them calibrated. They are harder to use especially on your back, under a car, and the numbers are away from you.

I have a Craftsman click type for about 8 years, 1/2" drive goes to 150 ft lbs I think. I haven't had any problems at all. Works great for me. :)

-
Back