Advice for all you car people!

-
Not talkin about @dartfreak75 here.....but some people simply want the answer handed to them on a silver platter. But WTF good does that really do? I don't understand that mindset. You learn NOTHING. Not one damned thing. Also, most people don't know the answer, because as usual, a LOT of information is left out.
Speaking for myself but im sure others can relate, its not that we want it on a silver platter its just sometimes I don't understand what I'm being told because iv never done it before. You can give the simplest answer ever but if I have never done it I don't know what your talking about. Sometimes you have to remember that not everyone has done it hundreds of times. I will give an example since its fresh on my mind. @318willrun was explaining to me setting timing and he said advance it then check for starter drag. That's probably the best answer anyone could give but I had no clue what starter drag ment. Once he explained started I drag knew exactly what he was talking about I have experienced that in one of my old dodge trucks but had no clue what is was called or what caused it. That was a great learning experience for me. I guess my point is sometimes answers can be broke down into another question. So when giving advice keep that in mind and not get aggravated if we keep asking questions lol and of course this post isnt aimed towards you just in general.

Speaking for myself but im sure others can relate, its not that we want it on a silver platter its just sometimes I don't understand what I'm being told because iv never done it before. You can give the simplest answer ever but if I have never done it I don't know what your talking about. Sometimes you have to remember that not everyone has done it hundreds of times. I will give an example since its fresh on my mind. @318willrun was explaining to me setting timing and he said advance it then check for starter drag. That's probably the best answer anyone could give but I had no clue what starter drag ment. Once he explained started I drag knew exactly what he was talking about I have experienced that in one of my old dodge trucks but had no clue what is was called or what caused it. That was a great learning experience for me. I guess my point is sometimes answers can be broke down into another question. So when giving advice keep that in mind and not get aggravated if we keep asking questions lol and of course this post isnt aimed towards you just in general.
We also have to realize that not everyone can comprehend the advice given. Not everyone is a whiz. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 times to get the point across. Me included. Kim

We also have to realize that not everyone can comprehend the advice given. Not everyone is a whiz. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 times to get the point across. Me included. Kim
Yes that is a very good way of saying what I was trying to say! Haha thanks

I made it thru school even college, but I admit I am Dislexit ( the puter won't spell it for me!). I can see many things backwards, upside down, transpose numbers. The electronics, wiring is what I can have so much trouble with. I have to say I do appreciate all those that have explained it all to me. I have to make copies and keep in a FSM to refer back to. It is something about it all that I can not maintain in my stupid head!!!!! Go figure. (NO, I am not a Dem.!)

I made it thru school even college, but I admit I am Dislexit ( the puter won't spell it for me!). I can see many things backwards, upside down, transpose numbers. The electronics, wiring is what I can have so much trouble with. I have to say I do appreciate all those that have explained it all to me. I have to make copies and keep in a FSM to refer back to. It is something about it all that I can not maintain in my stupid head!!!!! Go figure. (NO, I am not a Dem.!)
I feel your pain im dyslexic also! Numbers are are harder for me than letters. But I often find myself writing letters backwards. I can't remember numbers to save my life its getting worse the older I get. I can be looking up a part number let's say its 10-318 by the time I can pull up my search engine im typing in 01-381 or 831 etc etc. I have a Samsung note phone now so I use the little pin to screen feature alot now that is helpful. Reading is a nightmare too. Especially long explanations. That's why I'm much more a hands on and visual learner! I really like youtube.

Well if you never done it or you don't know what someone is talking about that's when the FSM will really clear it up. It gives you diagrams to actually look at to compare to what someone is telling you.

The timing thing is a perfect example though of something you'll not see in any manual. I don't think I've ever seen mention of starter drag in anyone's manual. And that's because all service manuals only speak of timing in stock spec terms.

And the keeping asking questions part wasn't regarding anything like any of this. It's when someone asks the same question over and over again expecting the answer they want to hear. It's almost never that simple.

I feel your pain im dyslexic also! Numbers are are harder for me than letters. But I often find myself writing letters backwards. I can't remember numbers to save my life its getting worse the older I get. I can be looking up a part number let's say its 10-318 by the time I can pull up my search engine im typing in 01-381 or 831 etc etc. I have a Samsung note phone now so I use the little pin to screen feature alot now that is helpful. Reading is a nightmare too. Especially long explanations. That's why I'm much more a hands on and visual learner! I really like youtube.

So am I. I found out I was dyslexic when I was hurt on the job and went through all the testing I did. Imagine that. I went completely through school never knowing it. The doctor said it was amazing I ever made it, that somehow my brain had adapted. I don't write or type words backwards. It's more like inside out. I do it all the time making posts here and on facebook. That's why I always go over something before I enter it. Sometimes I miss something, find it later and correct it. I'm also the same way regarding seeing something. I've asked many a person here to post a picture of what they're talking about because I'm not a good visualizer. At ALL.

Well if you never done it or you don't know what someone is talking about that's when the FSM will really clear it up. It gives you diagrams to actually look at to compare to what someone is telling you.

The timing thing is a perfect example though of something you'll not see in any manual. I don't think I've ever seen mention of starter drag in anyone's manual. And that's because all service manuals only speak of timing in stock spec terms.

And the keeping asking questions part wasn't regarding anything like any of this. It's when someone asks the same question over and over again expecting the answer they want to hear. It's almost never that simple.
Yea I haven't either. I have 3 different books and none of them give a description on setting timing. There is one book that even has a section and its like one sentence long that says set the timing with a timing light. That's it haha

Yea I haven't either. I have 3 different books and none of them give a description on setting timing. There is one book that even has a section and its like one sentence long that says set the timing with a timing light. That's it haha

Our auto instructor told us for best performance....which of course is what we were all lookin for, lol "set the timing so it drags the starter when hot and back off till it stops. As long as it wasn't pinging, it was good." And honestly, except for really precise street or really hot race builds, he was right. He didn't mention limiting total timing, because he knew right there most of us didn't get that involved......two of us already were. LOL

So am I. I found out I was dyslexic when I was hurt on the job and went through all the testing I did. Imagine that. I went completely through school never knowing it. The doctor said it was amazing I ever made it, that somehow my brain had adapted. I don't write or type words backwards. It's more like inside out. I do it all the time making posts here and on facebook. That's why I always go over something before I enter it. Sometimes I miss something, find it later and correct it. I'm also the same way regarding seeing something. I've asked many a person here to post a picture of what they're talking about because I'm not a good visualizer. At ALL.
Im not a good visualizer either I have to see it or do it. I don't remember what it was but I was doing something, and asked a question and I can't remember who it was (it may have been you lol) was explaining it to me but I just didn't get it at all. Until I went out and done it then I was like omg he explained that perfectly! Haha
Edit i just remember what it was and it was you, it was when I was doing my carrier bearing in my rear gear

Im not a good visualizer either I have to see it or do it.

Try having those limitations while working in construction.
I've dealt with the same thing. A blueprint helps but nothing compared to full scale examples right in front of you. I have started off on a bare concrete slab and looked at a set of plans and wondered how the building will fit together as designed.
I cannot pick out designs or colors for a house without seeing another house as an example. Some people can visualize the decor and drapes and make it happen. Not me!

Try having those limitations while working in construction.
I've dealt with the same thing. A blueprint helps but nothing compared to full scale examples right in front of you. I have started off on a bare concrete slab and looked at a set of plans and wondered how the building will fit together as designed.
I cannot pick out designs or colors for a house without seeing another house as an example. Some people can visualize the decor and drapes and make it happen. Not me!
Thats the wife's department im the builder haha

I was lucky because my Dad told me at age 16 (1972) if I wanted to drive his cars, I needed to take an auto mechanics class. It changed my life! Not only did I learn a lot of practical applied stuff, but I also learned how to logically and systematically try to fix issues (and not just on a car). Over the years, I hung out at body shops and mechanical shops when the guys were building race cars at night. When my car broke down and I couldn't fix it, these guys helped me out with advice, hands on instruction and even parts.

Now I'm almost 65 and I get a great deal of joy in helping hard working young people (or even hard working and inexperienced older folks) work on their old Mopars. I feel the same way about folks asking for help on FABO. Lots of people taught me and helped me and now it's my turn to help others. I really doubt if there are many experienced folks here on FABO that haven't had that kind of help when they were young and/or inexperienced. And there still plenty that I don't know, and even though I get steamed some times because of demeaning and insulting responses, most folk here are actually trying to help others and I really appreciate it.

Sometimes its hard to put humor in writing!???
It might be. Lately I have been adding a picture to relay humor.....

1 baby.jpg

1 laugh 2.jpg

1 Pitt 1.jpg

1 sad.jpg

1 laugh 4.jpg

THIS brings me to another portion of this topic.
WHEN you ask for help from people and get it, SHOW APPRECIATION.
I don't mind giving up some time to help people out. Sometimes, I really enjoy it. If I'm going to help you, don't stand around watching or disappear while I am doing the work. I'm not a hired hand and not your kid.
IF I'm there in the heat and doing the work, OFFER something to drink. Don't make me ask for it.
Have the parts ready. Have tools ready. Have hand cleaner and towels. If I'm there and you have to look for things in drawers, under a tarp, in a shed in the backyard or in the house, it wastes my time. If the parts are dirty, damaged or incomplete, it wastes my time. If it is the wrong part, I don't blame that on you...stuff happens.

Here is an experience that some of you may have had in the past.

I met this guy in a car club. Years prior, he tore down his car to restore it. It was a bold move because these cars are not cheap or easy to restore. This is his first restoration and this guy has only a basic understanding of cars. He is not an idiot but not a hard core car guy either. He would ask the advice of the club members and resist the advice that he was given. Being retired, he was not rich enough to pay anyone to finish the car. He asked for my help with his car and even though I didn't really like the guy much, I agreed to help. I told him that I would show him how to do things on one side of the car and that he would then do the other side. He made one excuse or another as to why he couldn't do it.
Months later when he was ready to install the engine, he called 3 guys over to help. This was on a Summer day where even by 10:00 AM, it was 84 degrees and climbing. He had zero skills installing an engine so it was best to keep him out of the way. The three of us installed the engine and headers while he just putted around. About 3 hours in, he finally offers us some water. No mention of food, beer, Gatorade or even any thanks along the way. We are there sweating and working while he watches and he doesn't even think of how he should repay these favors.
That is some real inconsiderate ****.
I have done work for some older car guys that offer me some parts or something as a payment. I'm fine with that. This guy though....It isn't as if the guy has anything that I want. In my own life and projects, He can offer me nothing in terms of help because of his lack of skills. He has no money to pay anyone for the help. If he were in a wheelchair or something, I'd feel different but this guy walks just fine.
Friendship is one thing. If a friend needs help, I give it without expecting money. I know that he would do the same for me.
A casual acquaintance like this guy needed to offer money, food or something to repay the favor. He did none of that until I spoke up as we were finishing up for the day. He acted surprised when I was pissed about it. He tried to make excuses but I wasn't having any of it. He used people to get work done, plain and simple. I know that I could have just walked away at any time but the other 2 guys were great dudes but not as familiar with these cars as I am. I let him guilt me into helping. I learned my lesson on this guy. I am the only one to blame for allowing him to guilt me into helping. I will not make the same mistake again nor will I ever do anything else to help him.
Since then, I see him asking questions quite frequently. I smile and scroll on by each time I see them.
This right here. I learned my lesson. Your time is valuable. As you get older it becomes precious. Customers son has decided to take on the maintenance. Now has questions. Screw that, he will eff it up anyway and i will have to pick up the pieces. I hate sloppy seconds…

i offer free advice, on my time and of my own free will. If i get pestered then its a different story.

One thing i will never ask advice for:
Camshaft anything. I cant wrap my head around the whole picture,where some of you are brilliant on this topic.
I get it at a individual level,but rattle off all the specs at once,my brain goes to mush.

-
Back