ADVICE...intake is off, now what

-

pauls340

Reaction score
My 340 is getting a fresher-up powder coating intake and valve covers and now that it's open, any advice on ANYTHING I might want to do while its open? When I replace the intake gaskets, should I leave the heat crossover holes blocked off? What's the best product to use to clean the oil and grime off the block? thanks, [email protected]:read2:

Do you ever drive it in colder weather? If so you should leave the heat crossover unblocked.

Now is the time to consider head work and a cam change.
A regular gasket scraper and rags to clean up and cover the valey while scraping gaskets off the heads is a good move. A degreaser. Never used one besides a red rag.

A 1 gallon jug of Super Clean (used to be Castrol super Clean)
sold at Wally World in the automotive department. Even cut at 40 to 1 it still is a whoop *** cleaner! If you use it straight (a waste of good product), it will cling well and make suds forever, you'll swear that you'll never get ti off your hands. I use it on out stainless kitchen sink, and don't even need Soft Scrub anymore.
A gallon jug has lasted me over a year, I usually cut it at 20 or 40 to 1 with water. That and a good scrub brush, and a scuff pad or two really kicks *** on grease. Lacquer thinner or denatured alcohol does a good job on interior surfaces, and have the added benefit of fast drying and removing oil film, in case you need to do some paint touch up.
I have found some kick *** paper towels tough enough to be washed in a washing machine without shedding!
Wypall X80's made by Kimberly Clark. I got mine form MSC (Michigan Supply Company) but I magine you can get them fromany supplier of industrial paper products. The only thing they suck at is window cleaning, they are actually too tough to be good at it!
A box costs about $20 (my neighbor is a tool salesman at MSC), and lasted me over a year.
Hope this helps,
Alan627b
Super Clean http://www.superclean.com/index.php
Google search Wypall X80
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=wypall+X80&aq=f&oq=

-
Back