Advice Needed - Exhaust Manifold Leak

-

1969VADart

Reaction score
So as you can see from the pictures, the end stud on my exhaust manifold is leaking. The end is a threaded stud in the head that the nut should tighten down on. Unfortunately, the nut doesn't tighten because the stud spins. I am thinking it may be stripped in the head. I am trying not to talk myself into pulling the whole motor and doing a complete refresh (don't really want to go to all the trouble). I assume I could pull the manifold and re-thread the head or use Helicoil. However, I am not sure how to get the bad stud out. Also not that experienced with the Helicoil to know what I should be looking for. Would appreciate some advice on how to repair this.

Exhaust Manifold 1.jpg

Exhaust Manifold 2.jpg

Take out all your manifold bolts and if the stud that spins doesn't just pull out then turn it while tugging on the manifold at the same time, it should work it's way out. If it's spins because it's snaped off then you could pull it with pliers. Then when you can get an eyeball on the situation reassess from there.

There is coolant behind that stud. Heli-coils work as good or better than new. Use high temp RTV when you reinstall the stud.

All 4 corner exhaust studs screw into a water jacket. All 4 need sealer of some sort. Like 66fs suggested, high temp silicone works well. I have used liquid teflon as well although I don't know about it's temperature limits.

The other option is an uneven stud. So the side that screws into the head is one size larger. 3/8” and it is about 3/4” long then drops down to 5/16” with a 2” length. With the un threaded part it’s like 3” long. You can drill out the hole to retap a 3/8” stud. Places like Mc Masters or Granger have them.
Just another option from helicoil. If you don’t like helicoils. I mean what’s not to like- they saved my butt a few times. Just make sure you get the length correct or you bottom out before the stud is all the way in.

The other option is an uneven stud. So the side that screws into the head is one size larger. 3/8” and it is about 3/4” long then drops down to 5/16” with a 2” length. With the un threaded part it’s like 3” long. You can drill out the hole to retap a 3/8” stud. Places like Mc Masters or Granger have them.
Just another option from helicoil. If you don’t like helicoils. I mean what’s not to like- they saved my butt a few times. Just make sure you get the length correct or you bottom out before the stud is all the way in.

I think this is the option I would choose. The reason is because a helicoil there is tricky. Since it goes into water, you need sealant on both sides of the helicoil. You cannot do that on the outside of the helicoil. It needs thread locker to keep the helicoil in place. Thread locker is not a sealer and it might leak around the helicoil. If you tap it up to 3/8 and us a reduced stud as Syleng suggested, you won't have that worry.

Put a jam nut on a turn it out,. install a helicoil without removing the manifold. easy peasy. been done many times. Make sure you use a short helicoil and break the install tab off because the stud goes in deeper until it bottoms. You can take the core plug out in the head to get a look at it from the back side if it is a stud at the front of the motor.

-
Back