Advice Needed

-

Robb

Reaction score
Hi - I am looking into buying another barracuda that has had some frame rail repairs (see pictures below, I think there are more repairs than pictured). I need advice if this is a red flag to stay away, or do these look acceptable? If these look OK, does this take away from the value or resale for a car?

Thanks, any help would be appreciated... Robb

008[1] (2).JPG

012[1] (2).JPG

If they welded the patches to solid metal it should be structurally sound. I would want to check all areas of the car to make sure there's nothing hidden. If the rest of the car was reasonably solid it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if it was the type car I was looking for. All else being equal the repaired car wouldn't bring as much money as an unrusted one, of course.
Dallas

Ditto, The repairs look like they were done right. With some time and a little grinding, you can clean up those areas and make them look better. That wouldn't stop me from buying it.

I wouldn't want it. The patch where the 2 holes are might have been needed after a frame machine ripped it apart. That is where they put their hooks.
I did buy a totalled car once and stretched it back out myself. That was a93 Lebarron vert and was wifes daily driver for 4 years. Not something that I planned to keep, spend lots of money on, flip for a profit, or anything other than get the remaining miles out of.

Thanks to all who have advised.... not sure what I will do at this point, but I looked closer at a few other pics last night, and there are more frame rail repairs... make me wonder what shape the rest of the body was in?!?!

Me no like.......I'd personally rather hold out for something a bit more unmolested. To me, rust is like "once it's there, it's there to stay" (not necessarily quarter panels or trunk metal though).....but frame rails? Naw, not for me. Unless it was for some cheap race car project, then I might. It may be structurally sound but.......naw.

-
Back