Advice on Brakes

-

LittleMissMopar

Wild n Wonderful
Reaction score
My 65 Barracuda has manual drum brakes all around, with the single piston master cylinder. I've been considering maybe changing them, for safety purposes, after hearing stories of people breaking a line and losing their brakes entirely...which isn't a pleasant thought. But I'm all about keeping this car how I found it. I'm weird about that. I'd just like some advice on whether to change the brake system, or just leave it. I'm really indecisive.

Hey, she's back. LOL

This is a bridge you'll have to cross yourself on what to do. Theres a lot of pro's to upgrades and the purists will cry foul.

If a all stock looking and correct car is what you want, then you could at least go this route and no one is non the wiser.

New master Cylinder with new stainless steel lines to new wheel cylinders, flex/rubber hoses and hardware. It's all fresh and new. No worries with stronger upgraded material.

Lets see here,the choise is either stock brakes that can,t stop a 3000lbs car much over 80mph,never mind 100+,or installing a disc /drum set up or four wheel disc set up and driving the car at any speed safely with the family in it,and being able to stop on a dime and get 8 cents change,Do the math.Screw the,it came that way,saftely is first,end of story.mrmopartech

And I agree, thats why my Duster is being upgraded to disks upfront and was given 11 inch drums in the back.

Butttttt, what ever she wants..........

at the very least, put a dual bowl master in there. i do agree with mrmopartech that if you want to drive it and enjoy it, disc is the way to go. or take a good digital pic of the grille and put it on the wall, so you remember what it used to look like.

I recently converted my 65 to front disc brakes and aluminum 1 1/16 m/c. Being able to come to a stop quickly really allows you to push the car harder. You also will be confident that if you get cut off you can stop as well as the newer cars.

I`ve noticed the four wheel drum on my Dart really suck compared to the disc on my Barracuda but like LilMissMopar I`m dedicated to the preservation of my Dart as it is. The best advice I`ve got for drum brake users is to maintain the system at it`s top level. A good start begins with the wheel bearings being top quality, greased ,and adjusted correctly. Be sure the brake drums are round and within runout, the shoes are the best quality you can buy and kept clean. The wheel cylinders and master cylinder should be sized correctly and have no leaks. Use only clean ,quality brake fluid ,and lastly keep the brakes adjusted correctly and install self adjusters on all 4 wheels if the system`s not so equipped. I`ve done this with my Dart and although they are still inferior when compared to the disc brakes on my B`cuda, they stop the car well enough for the way I drive it.

If you are planning on driving the car regularly, then I will have to say also that safety comes first. I have had a lot of bad experiences with my 9'' drum brakes and once I was thrown out off the road due to overheated brakes. After that I upgraded the front ones by installing 10" disk brakes with four piston calipers. Now I feel really comfortable driving the car really fast because I know that the brakes will not fail me and of course driving fast is not the only reason, I could write a whole list...
But if you feel that you really have self-control and you keep your distances and low speeds then what Longgone suggests should be enough.

Well my car only gets driven to carshows for the most part...occassionally if its nice out I'll take a cruise. I'm a pretty cautious driver because if someone hits me...I'll end up going to jail for assault with a deadly weapon. I really appreciate the advice guys. In the future, when I get some extra money lined up, I think I'm going to invest in some disks.

If the car doesn't have the original engine, rear view mirrors, wheels & ??? what's the big deal with a disc brake upgrade? Just do it! Then enjoy it.....

Well my car only gets driven to carshows for the most part...occassionally if its nice out I'll take a cruise. I'm a pretty cautious driver because if someone hits me...I'll end up going to jail for assault with a deadly weapon. I really appreciate the advice guys. In the future, when I get some extra money lined up, I think I'm going to invest in some disks.

I went to your garage and checked out your Barracuda. It`s got a little "GO" in it and with the changes that have already been done, disc brakes would be a good upgrade for you. The stop should mirror the go. It all depends on how you drive, but with a car like yours, there`s no way you can always be good. Plus, that carbon needs to be blown out occasionally.:grin::burnout:

Take it from me Miss Mopar there is nothing worse than a car that goes like hell and stops like crap. I used to run a 69 Super Bee with a 440 4 speed that did go like hell but with drums all the way around, even the big ones, that car was an accident waiting to happen. At the very least go with the dual master cylinder, 10" discs up front and the 4 piston calipers. That's what I'm running on the Demon and even though they ain't powered she still comes to a quick halt.

Terry

Terry speaks the truth.

If you want OE as the day it rolled out, upgrade it with better parts.

If you want a car to enjoy all over, you might as well make it as safe as you can. Remember, it's your car your way no matter what they say. Enjoy it to the max. Be safe.

-
Back