Advice on changing from stock 14 inch rims and spacing

-

MoparCaligirl

Powered by coffee
Reaction score
I currently have stock 14 in rims 5 lug 4 1/2 spacing and am looking at changing them.

I found these:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/15x7-15x8-Cra...Tires-for-Plymouth-Duster-70-76-/331635938978
But not sure if I want to spend that much!

Also found these:
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...Id=10001&quantity_1=1&ddkey=http:OrderItemAdd

But not sure if they will fit?

I don't understand back spacing and offset and what will fit well but not run so any help or thoughts on what I found would be appreciated!

I know the first link ones will fit but the second link are a little different

You can check your backspacing by removing a rear wheel and putting a straight edge across the drum where the wheel mounts, then measure the distance from the edge that touches the drum to the leaf spring! You will want to subtract an inch or so from the measurement to make sure that you have some clearance between the tire and the leaf spring, so for instance if the distance between the drum face and the leaf spring is 5", you would like your backspacing to be about 3 1/2"! Then you can do the same thing to figure the width of the rim...using the same straight edge against the drum, you can now measure the distance between the drum face and the inside of the wheel lip, and subtract about the same clearance number! So, for instance, if the number between the drum face and the wheel lip edge is 5", you would subtract about 1 1/2", making that number 3 1/2"! Now add the backspace and the front number together, or in our example 3 1/2"+3 1/2", and you would be able to run a 7" rim with 3 1/2" of backspacing!!

even though my crystal ball tells me you have a 75 duster, it would help to know this for sure, since year and model does make a difference

the wheels you listed on jegs didn't show on my computer but it seems like the Cragars will fit your car

if you do have a 75, then chanches are you have the large bolt pattern (5X4.5) which is about 95% of the wheels that show up for sale on here

we have a whole section of the for sale adds dedicated to them, so I would check there first

Yeah, you need to remember, not everybody reads the welcome wagon, so some might miss out on what you have.

That said, I like what I see. You have good taste. If you're interested in the Cragar S/S wheels and not some 18" super ghetto crappola, there's hope for you.

Sorry! First time on a forum�� It never caught on with me...
Anyhow, yes I have a 1975 Duster.

I would actually like to go for a more "full look" if you that makes sense, basically fill the space without rubbing.
So I don't believe with that want I should go with my current back space?

I do like the ss but I almost like the rallye more because of the simplicity.
And no...no ghetto crappola will be done to my baby!

Glad to see no ghetto stuff. We already have an overload of that here now <rolls eyes>.

The Rallye wheels do look good and are available in widths and backspacings to fit right on your car.

Besides me hating the ghetto stuff myself I'm quite sure my grandmother would slap me ghost style if I did anything like that to the duster.

My only worry with changing the wheels and tires is getting what I want, fuller look included, right the first time as I will be ordering offline

Besides me hating the ghetto stuff myself I'm quite sure my grandmother would slap me ghost style if I did anything like that to the duster.

My only worry with changing the wheels and tires is getting what I want, fuller look included, right the first time as I will be ordering offline

All this just makes my heart warm. There is hope for the future after all.

http://imgur.com/a/WiEHX
This is a link to imgur that has pics of the duster.

See how much room there is in the back fender? I would like to have that a bit more full

Percy makes a wheel and tire measuring tool. I have one. I highly recommend it. It's like 75 bucks from Summit. With that tool, you can measure your car and see what backspacing, offset and tire you can fit. It works very well.

Percy makes a wheel and tire measuring tool. I have one. I highly recommend it. It's like 75 bucks from Summit. With that tool, you can measure your car and see what backspacing, offset and tire you can fit. It works very well.

Good thread,on all counts.. Someone respectively has vintage good taste,& Percy's stepped up to the plate on that tool.. Thanks!

Glad to see no ghetto stuff. We already have an overload of that here now <rolls eyes>.

The Rallye wheels do look good and are available in widths and backspacings to fit right on your car.

"The Ghetto stuff" has light years ahead better tread. Nobody is updating 15" tires beyond hockey puck status and drag slicks. If that works for you, happy trails.

It sure doesn't for me. Tasteful 17" all the way. Function over forum. Not trying to be a dick, but please include the pro's when your blow your horn about 'them damn reyhums!'

For a 15x7 rim in the front you'll want 4.25" to 4.5" backspace (+6 to +12 offset). The cragars in the first link are 15x7's with 4.125" backspace (+3 offset) and a 225/60/15 tire, which will be cutting it very close for fender clearance. I would suspect that they might rub during some turning situations unless the car sits pretty high. I ran 225/60/15's on my '74 Duster on 15x7's with 4.25" of backspace, they didn't rub but it was very close. If those are the rims you want in the front, you may want to consider a 215/65/15 or 215/60/15 instead of a 225/60/15 just to play it safe for clearance.

In the back I'm going to assume you have a 7.25 or 8.25" rear axle (stock). Those are pretty narrow rear axles, narrower than the earlier 8 3/4's. That, and the Duster body style, is why there's so much room and the wheels sit so far in. The Cragars in your first link have a -6 offset (4.25" backspace for a 8" rim), which is good if you want to move the tires out and make the wheel well a little more filled out. Same with the wider 245/60/15. That combination will probably be a good 1 1/2" further out toward the quarters than your current set up, but should still leave plenty of clearance to the quarter. If you wanted you could step up to a 255/60/15 and you'd still have plenty of clearance, although that's getting to be a pretty tall tire (27").

Unfortunately, the only tires available in half decent sizes for 15" rims are the BFG TA's. Great for doing smokey burnouts and making it look like you've got more horsepower than you really have because they spin so easily, but lousy for actual traction. You might be able to find a set of Cooper Cobra's in those sizes, they're a little better than the BFG TA hockey pucks.

That tool sounds great I will definitely look for it.
If I have time after work and getting the estimate done after my accident I might try to go to my local j&m speedcenter see if they may have some ideas.

All this just makes my heart warm. There is hope for the future after all.

Don't get your hopes up! I'm over 30 and not going to have kids so the lessons will not be passed on, except to maybe my niece if I can bring her over to the Mopar side&#128514;

For a 15x7 rim in the front you'll want 4.25" to 4.5" backspace (+6 to +12 offset). The cragars in the first link are 15x7's with 4.125" backspace (+3 offset) and a 225/60/15 tire, which will be cutting it very close for fender clearance. I would suspect that they might rub during some turning situations unless the car sits pretty high. I ran 225/60/15's on my '74 Duster on 15x7's with 4.25" of backspace, they didn't rub but it was very close. If those are the rims you want in the front, you may want to consider a 215/65/15 or 215/60/15 instead of a 225/60/15 just to play it safe for clearance.

In the back I'm going to assume you have a 7.25 or 8.25" rear axle (stock). Those are pretty narrow rear axles, narrower than the earlier 8 3/4's. That, and the Duster body style, is why there's so much room and the wheels sit so far in. The Cragars in your first link have a -6 offset (4.25" backspace for a 8" rim), which is good if you want to move the tires out and make the wheel well a little more filled out. Same with the wider 245/60/15. That combination will probably be a good 1 1/2" further out toward the quarters than your current set up, but should still leave plenty of clearance to the quarter. If you wanted you could step up to a 255/60/15 and you'd still have plenty of clearance, although that's getting to be a pretty tall tire (27").

Unfortunately, the only tires available in half decent sizes for 15" rims are the BFG TA's. Great for doing smokey burnouts and making it look like you've got more horsepower than you really have because they spin so easily, but lousy for actual traction. You might be able to find a set of Cooper Cobra's in those sizes, they're a little better than the BFG TA hockey pucks.

Very good info, thank you very much! I will read more deeply when I get home from work

On older cars, 'backspacing' is the term that's used.
On modern cars/wheels, peeple tend to the use the 'offset' term, which is measured differently.

On factory Mopar-wheels, the backspacing is usually about half (+a little extra) of the total wheel width.
So a 6" wide wheel will usually have a 3.25"-ish backspacing.

Anytime the backspacing is less than half the wheel/rim width, the entire wheel sits further out to the fender.
Usually on A-body Mopars, this is not what you want (especially on the front wheels).

On older cars, 'backspacing' is the term that's used.
On modern cars/wheels, peeple tend to the use the 'offset' term, which is measured differently.

On factory Mopar-wheels, the backspacing is usually about half (+a little extra) of the total wheel width.
So a 6" wide wheel will usually have a 3.25"-ish backspacing.

Anytime the backspacing is less than half the wheel/rim width, the entire wheel sits further out to the fender.
Usually on A-body Mopars, this is not what you want (especially on the front wheels).

Ok, I mostly understand this...mostly!
But I would like the back to be out some to fill in the wheel well.
I'm ok with going with wider in the back, was going for 15x7 front and 15x8 back. At least that's what I'm thinking&#128514;

All the wheels seem to have different backspacing so I don't know what to get&#128563;

The "small bolt" wheels have been sold.

He still has the "big bolt" wheels. You have the "big bolt" pattern.

I got all excited and went back and looked and sadly they are 14 inch rims which I would really like 15 inch because for some reason in my area it is super hard to find tires for 14 inch rims&#128563;

I got all excited and went back and looked and sadly they are 14 inch rims which I would really like 15 inch because for some reason in my area it is super hard to find tires for 14 inch rims&#128563;

It is getting like that everywhere. 14's will be a thing of the past before long.

-
Back