Advice on changing from stock 14 inch rims and spacing

-
It is getting like that everywhere. 14's will be a thing of the past before long.

It's a shame because otherwise I would keep stock because I do actually like the stock hub caps she has and then she could keep more of the "sleeper" look😄

It's a shame because otherwise I would keep stock because I do actually like the stock hub caps she has and then she could keep more of the "sleeper" look��

Then you should call Stockton Wheel. They can make you anything you want. They can make plain steel wheels in any backspacing or width you want, so that you can still use the hub caps you have.

http://www.stocktonwheel.com/

if your going that route, summit carries mopar ralleys in 15 inch

To play it safe, there is a 95% chance this combo will fit that car perfectly:

Front: 15x7 with 4.50 backspacing and 225-60R15 tires.
Rear: 15x8 with 4.50 backspacing and 245-60R15 tires.

To play it safe, there is a 95% chance this combo will fit that car perfectly:

Front: 15x7 with 4.50 backspacing and 225-60R15 tires.
Rear: 15x8 with 4.50 backspacing and 245-60R15 tires.

That's the size of one of the ones I was looking at. Except backspacing on the front says 4 1/8 backspacing on front and 4 1/4 back.

Also offset +3 and -6😳
Same size tires though!

Right, you can use factory 15s. I am uncertain though, if the center is the same size so your present hub caps will fit. Rani would probably know the answer to that for sure. Maybe she will chime in.

Right, you can use factory 15s. I am uncertain though, if the center is the same size so your present hub caps will fit. Rani would probably know the answer to that for sure. Maybe she will chime in.

Rusty,
She has 14" full wheel hubcaps.
They will never fit a 15" wheels.

Maybe your thinking dog dishes ?
Dog dish caps will fit 14" & 15" wheels.

Rusty,

I did find one site that I could have them make a 15 that would accept the 14 inch but I'm looking more into how it's done and cost related

I did find one site that I could have them make a 15 that would accept the 14 inch but I'm looking more into how it's done and cost related

:banghead:

Lots of good information given by folks here, and its flying right over your head.
Microphone check 1...Is this thing working ?

I found some rallyes on jegs but I'm just unsure of size and back spacing I can fit

Glad to see no ghetto stuff. We already have an overload of that here now <rolls eyes>.

The Rallye wheels do look good and are available in widths and backspacings to fit right on your car.

On the wife's '67 I just installed a set of wheel vintiques (sp?) 15X8 Ralley wheels with 26.10 X 10 inch Mikey Thompson wheels. The back spacing of the Ralley wheel is 4-1/2 inches. There is approx. 1-3/4 inches of space from the tire to the springs that are in the stock location.

I believe this to be right about the maximum size considering the clearance left over that may not allow a 15 X 10 wheel because the tire is a little fatter than the wheel.

I can double check the clearance on my own '71 Duster if you like.

That's the size of one of the ones I was looking at. Except backspacing on the front says 4 1/8 backspacing on front and 4 1/4 back.

Also offset +3 and -6&#128563;
Same size tires though!

Sounds close enough. Don't worry about "offset". Those offset numbers look wrong to me, and 99% of us here would prefer to talk about backspacing anyways. It is best to adhere to the KISS principle (Keep It Simple-Stupid).

Lots of good information given by folks here, and its flying right over your head.

Not sure what the quote you quoted has to do with your comment, and yes I would agree that a lot of good advice has been given.

However when it comes to changing wheels and tires I really do not understand the subtle differences which I apologize if that offends you....

I'm sorry for wanting to get it right the first time regarding the look I want and fit with no rubs.
I'm sorry that I am getting as much info as possible before I spend what to me is a considerable amount of money....

I will try to understand something that I really don't, just for you

On the wife's '67 I just installed a set of wheel vintiques (sp?) 15X8 Ralley wheels with 26.10 X 10 inch Mikey Thompson wheels. The back spacing of the Ralley wheel is 4-1/2 inches. There is approx. 1-3/4 inches of space from the tire to the springs that are in the stock location.

I believe this to be right about the maximum size considering the clearance left over that may not allow a 15 X 10 wheel because the tire is a little fatter than the wheel.

I can double check the clearance on my own '71 Duster if you like.

Thank you for that info! As long as you haven't noticed any rubs I'd say that was exactly the info I was looking for&#128516;

15x8 is what I wanted in the back and 15x7 for front so now I know I can look for those sizes with 4 1/2 back spacing and be a-ok though with obviously different sized wheels.

Thank you very, very much!

Sounds close enough. Don't worry about "offset". Those offset numbers look wrong to me, and 99% of us here would prefer to talk about backspacing anyways. It is best to adhere to the KISS principle (Keep It Simple-Stupid).

&#128514; Thank you!

Not sure what the quote you quoted has to do with your comment, and yes I would agree that a lot of good advice has been given.

However when it comes to changing wheels and tires I really do not understand the subtle differences which I apologize if that offends you....

I'm sorry for wanting to get it right the first time regarding the look I want and fit with no rubs.
I'm sorry that I am getting as much info as possible before I spend what to me is a considerable amount of money....

My comment is in regards to how all over the place you are. One minute you want Cragers. The next you want Rallyes. The next you want Steel wheels. The next you want to stretch your 14" hubcaps, to fit 15" wheels.#-o

You are making this much more difficult than it should be. And I apologize if im being harsh, I really am trying to help. Im also trying to save you money, as I have done this many times. Your best option would be to find a used set of factory wheels, whether it be a Rallye or steel wheel. They bolt right on, without having to worry about back spacing or offset.

So now that you know your options on wheels, let us help you.
Decide which wheels you want to go with, so we can narrow it down.
Cragers
Steel/Dog Dish
Rallye
Stock Hubcaps

And dont be afraid of 14" wheels. For what you are doing BFG or Cooper make 14" tires that will work perfect for what your doing. And they are still available in many sizes that will work.

We just need you to narrow it down to a rim you want to go with. :thumblef:

Rusty,

That's why I threw in the custom wheel idea from Stockton. They will make wheels from 14" centers and put 15" rims on them.

She's a female. Doesn't mean she's dumb. Means her brain works differently than all us guys.

My comment is in regards to how all over the place you are. One minute you want Cragers. The next you want Rallyes. The next you want Steel wheels. The next you want to stretch your 14" hubcaps, to fit 15" wheels.#-o

You are making this much more difficult than it should be. And I apologize if im being harsh, I really am trying to help. Im also trying to save you money, as I have done this many times. Your best option would be to find a used set of factory wheels, whether it be a Rallye or steel wheel. They bolt right on, without having to worry about back spacing or offset.

So now that you know your options on wheels, let us help you.
Decide which wheels you want to go with, so we can narrow it down.
Cragers
Steel/Dog Dish
Rallye
Stock Hubcaps

And dont be afraid of 14" wheels. For what you are doing BFG or Cooper make 14" tires that will work perfect for what your doing. And they are still available in many sizes that will work.

We just need you to narrow it down to a rim you want to go with. :thumblef:

Right now I'm either going for Cragers or Rallye (I was looking at a place that makes custom wheels 15 in that has a ring that would allow my original hub caps but I'm not leaning towards that)

There is absolutely no way I'm going to go for 14in because only one place near me carries them and I don't care for the brand they are.

I don't want stock rims unless the 15 in rims are different in what kind of space they take.

I would like to fill in all the extra space in the wheel well as stated before, especially in the back.

She's a female. Doesn't mean she's dumb. Means her brain works differently than all us guys.

Thanks for that! &#128516;
While I did go to school to be a mechanic I am only good with if its broke fix it type scenarios..not customization&#128563;

Add numbers to the game and my mind just shuts down

LMAO!

Would you like me to double check the wheel fitment on my '72 Duster with the Ralley wheels? Take a snap shot?

Don't apologize to these cantankerous old farts! That just makes us MORE antagonistic. ;) That's almost as bad as saying that you are planning on dropping a chebby 383 in your Duster because you heard that it fits better than a 440! :banghead:

-
Back