Advice on rear axles

-

Kevin Jonker

Reaction score
Do they make small bolt pattern high strength rear axles? Also do you think good 7/16 wheel studs ie: moroso etc. will hold up to soft compound tires? Why Chrysler blessed us with 5x4 bolt patterns I'll never know. Thanks Kevin

Dutchman Motorsports in Oregon will make you small bolt pattern axles, for that matter I'm sure any axle manufacturer like Moser, Strange etc. will make you small bolt pattern axles if you request then. I just mentioned Dutchman because I have seen a SBP Mopar axle from them it person. 7/16" studs will be fine for drag racing. My Buick Stage 1's that I used to own came from the factory with 7/16" studs and I had no problems with stud breakage with a 455 and slicks.

http://www.dutchmanms.com/

Chuck

Not sure what you have for wheels, but...If you had to buy axles anyway...you may find it easier to upgrade to the 5x4.5 pattern at that time. It means different drums and wheels, but 15" rims have a lot more for tire choices, not to mention wheel choices later.

I justed installed a pair on my '70 duster,i bought them from dr.diff from the moparts site,they are Dutchman axels seem to be of nice quality and i have the 7/16 studs also,i'm running 15x7 smallbolt rims with drag radials..

If you buy new axles from moser have both 4.0 and 4.5 bolt patterns drilled . .If you ever upgrade you will already have 4.5 for the upgrade.
100_0350-2.jpg
[/IMG]

7172 duster said:
If you buy new axles from moser have both 4.0 and 4.5 bolt patterns drilled . .If you ever upgrade you will already have 4.5 for the upgrade.

If you do this you need to order the axles as small bolt pattern axle with the 4.5 pattern also. This way the brake offset and hub register diameter are correct for your 4" pattern wheels and drums.

Chuck

-
Back