Advise: Going to look at a scamp

-
Well I made the drive down to look at the car. First of all I have to say the owner was very honest about the presentation of the car. It actually looked better in person than it did in the pictures. The paint was slick, the body gaps were good, on the passenger side rear quarter I could see a little filler was used, the rear driver side floorboard had a patch welded in. It did have a couple dime sized bubbles coming up here and there. The engine was quiet, exhaust sounded good. I did some research on the transmission while i was there. It is an A833 not a Saginaw. (Not sure where he got that idea)

When I drove the car, it just didn't drive how I thought it should. It could have possibly been the seats he had in it sat up too high, but it put me in an uncomfortable seating position. The clutch worked well, but there was about 4" of play at the top of the clutch, and sometimes you had to put your foot under it to bring it back to the top. Could that be the spring?

The lowest he would come down to was $8400 on the car. I probably would have gone up to $7500 but I didn't want to lowball him. I could tell he was proud of his car, and he really liked it.

Again thank you all for your advice, I'm still in the market and looking so I'm sure I'll be posting again soon!

Well I made the drive down to look at the car. First of all I have to say the owner was very honest about the presentation of the car. It actually looked better in person than it did in the pictures. The paint was slick, the body gaps were good, on the passenger side rear quarter I could see a little filler was used, the rear driver side floorboard had a patch welded in. It did have a couple dime sized bubbles coming up here and there. The engine was quiet, exhaust sounded good. I did some research on the transmission while i was there. It is an A833 not a Saginaw. (Not sure where he got that idea)

When I drove the car, it just didn't drive how I thought it should. It could have possibly been the seats he had in it sat up too high, but it put me in an uncomfortable seating position. The clutch worked well, but there was about 4" of play at the top of the clutch, and sometimes you had to put your foot under it to bring it back to the top. Could that be the spring?

The lowest he would come down to was $8400 on the car. I probably would have gone up to $7500 but I didn't want to lowball him. I could tell he was proud of his car, and he really liked it.

Again thank you all for your advice, I'm still in the market and looking so I'm sure I'll be posting again soon!

If he didn't make your comfortable price you did the right thing. He can be honest and love his car but that don't mean you have to pay for his man crush on his car.

Glad it's an 833. Who the hell would put a Saginaw in a Chrysler? Holy cow.

Seats are a big deal. Modern seats in muscle cars don't work for me either.

As for the clutch...that's not usually a big deal. Probably an adjustment.

Too bad you couldn't swing a deal.

I agree, it would have been nice to take home, I may reach out to him in a week or two and see if he want's to come down anymore on the price.

I agree. If it is your car and your money, it is your decision. Anyone that doesn't like it can piss off...

IMG_0575.JPG
IMG_0592.JPG
IMG_0609.JPG
IMG_0613.JPG
IMG_0575.JPG
IMG_0592.JPG
IMG_0609.JPG
IMG_0613.JPG
IMG_0575.JPG
IMG_0613.JPG
Hey guys, I thought I would just provide an update. I ended up making the guy an offer on the car. He told me no, but he would think about it. In the meantime, I looked at a couple other cars, they were more expensive and not quite as nice. I also had the opportunity to buy my 71 duster back, which I heavily considered, considering it was restored by my dad, uncle, and myself, and I only sold it to put a down payment on my house a few years ago.

The guy that had the scamp called me back and accepted my offer, I told him I would come down and check it out again the following weekend. I drove the car, checked it out again, and decided to go ahead and take it on as a running driving project.

Since I've bought the car, I've put the correct seats back in the car. it came with an almost perfect front bench seat, I've put a new 650 CFM carburetor on it, fellow member Kegan B hooked me up with some nice driver quality bumpers that I got installed tonight. I've purchased a new cam and lifter set, she goes into the exhaust shop tomorrow morning to get 2 1/2" exhaust ran out back. I have a set of 15" cop wheels with plymouth centers that I'm going to have powder coated gloss black and run on it.

All in all I think it will be a cool car. The guy loved his spray chrome and zip ties. But mechanically it seems pretty solid. Plus it gives me something to work on after work at night. Here's a few updated pictures. I think it definitely looks better than it did.

-
Back