Advise: Going to look at a scamp

-
JMO. It's an undesirable body style. If you buy it, you better love it. It will be a hard sell. Just as it is now. Not knowing Mopar terms suggest he's a flipper, and most likely had nothing to do with building it. It's too much money.

I wouldnt make the 2 hour drive unless I knew the seller was VERY flexible on price.
My bet is that he isnt. It would have sold, or at least be advertised, for considerably less.
Your going to drop a fair bit of coin on it once you've paid for it so its still an incomplete project.
Dont forget what your looking at.
Is a 74 really what you want?
Would you rather have another sport roof?
Shiny object syndrome can affect anyone! :poke::lol:

Who puts a Saginaw gear box in anything.

That right there drops the value by $2000.00 right off the top. I'd put an 833 in it and sell the Saginaw.

Oh crap you're right I forgot about that part and I gave him credit for having a $1,200 a 833.
Who puts a Saginaw gear box in anything.

That right there drops the value by $2000.00 right off the top. I'd put an 833 in it and sell the Saginaw.

To the OP:
I like it. I am partial to more door beaks but I like it.
Maybe not at $9k but I like it. It's not a red swap meet steering wheel. Look closer. Looks like solid wood piece to me. Also looks like new steering column with tilt option. Maybe, just maybe, someone did put the time into it.
And on the marketing, if he was a flipper wouldn't he be better t it? The marketing that is.
Worth the drive to me. Especially if a friend comes along and it turns into a day out road trip with a buddy.
Sure seats need to go and so do the wheels and the bumpers need chromed back up.

Besides, what MOPAR guy / gal ever bought one to "not get hurt"? Most people making money on them are the ones doing it for a living. The rest of us do it cuz we LIKE it.
Just my humble opinion.
I am sure it will be picked apart and ridiculed endlessly.
Which ever way it goes, please report back.

I agree with the above statement that this guy is likely not a car flipper. If I had to make a guess I would say it's someone who paid way too much for it and is looking for someone to get them out of they're bad decision. One of my very favorite things on Craigslist is to hear people say that "that's what I paid for it" and they're expecting you to get them out of their bad decisions. I also agree with the last post is that you at least have a very good time and maybe some good laughs...
It usually goes one way or the other and relatively no middle ground. It'll be either a complete Jewel and you want to start making an offer or you'll get there and it's a complete Bondo Nightmare and you'll smack your forehead and not be able to get out of there quick enough. That bright blue paint job will tell the story when you look down the lines

Again just way too many signs of trying to make things work? They tried to make the steering wheel work they tried to make the transmission work they tried to make the seats work they tried to make painting the bumpers work. It just seems like someone was working with what they had and not really seeking the parts that the car should have. How much cheaper was it to find a good pair of sheets at the junkyard then having the seats redone? I can't imagine the transmission being a cheaper to have it hook up but still imagine it's something somebody had. And Lord knows those bumpers we're a major Savings of money not having to take them off not having to send them out to be chromed to put them back on just sanding them and painting over them. Doesn't that steering wheel and column belong and some kind of restomod that we see on TV or something? I'm kind of just bored and talking out loud, so please nobody take this to Heart.

Again just way too many signs of trying to make things work? They tried to make the steering wheel work they tried to make the transmission work they tried to make the seats work they tried to make painting the bumpers work. It just seems like someone was working with what they had and not really seeking the parts that the car should have. How much cheaper was it to find a good pair of sheets at the junkyard then having the seats redone? I can't imagine the transmission being a cheaper to have it hook up but still imagine it's something somebody had. And Lord knows those bumpers we're a major Savings of money not having to take them off not having to send them out to be chromed to put them back on just sanding them and painting over them. Doesn't that steering wheel and column belong and some kind of restomod that we see on TV or something? I'm kind of just bored and talking out loud, so please nobody take this to Heart.
I can see where you're going with that thought. I could see that being the case for sure.

I agree with the above statement that this guy is likely not a car flipper.

i dont think ive ever come across a flipper who went through the trouble of getting vanity plates on a car, just so he wouldnt look like a flipper

You'll need to get that car for 4K then.
Agreed 100%
Here is the bottom line.
If you plan to resell it in the future after you have fun with it and change a few things, be willing to take a loss and be willing to sit on it for awhile (like the current owner has done) because frankly, these cars aren't easy sellers, especially for say the 9 grand he is asking............
These are fun and great cars to drive, look at it for what it is, it is definitely not an investment.
You would have to find the ''right'' buyer like the owner is doing to even recoup your investment, which you can easily add another 2 grant to the cost of the car if you could get it for 4 grand.
The .060 over 360 ( i would want machine shop specs and a sonic check sheet for the block) and the ''saginaw'' trans with the traction bars say to me this is a Chevy guy who doesn't know these cars and what their worth is ''fixed up''.
I intend nothing bad towards the seller, or you for that matter, but we all make mistakes and build the wrong car and personalize it to OUR tastes, not what the market or fanatics of the brand generally go for and pay good money for.
Great idea to have your friend go and help inspect the car with you to see if the body is sound..............

On a personal note, i like the post '73 a-bodies and i think this would be a great car to drive and have fun with, if the condition is as good as it looks.
Cosmetics aren't a big deal, it's just time and a bit of money.
And you can't put a price on that.

Thanks for all the posts guys! I'm definitely still going to go look at it. I called the guy and told him I'd be there around mid day Wednesday. I don't think this guy is a flipper. He said he's had the car for 5 years, he bought it off of the guy that rebuilt it. He said he was a chevy guy, but had a few mopars.

I'm picturing the car with some nice wheels, original interior, and chrome bumpers. I have a set of steel wheels and plymouth center caps I can throw on it, nice chrome bumpers may be hard to come by.

If this car isn't the one, I'll definitely find something this season. I'm not going to rush into a car. It's nice having a community to ask questions to though!

I'll be sure to keep you guys posted!

Thanks again!

I am not an "old school" guy or a purist but I do like the slotted wheels on the car!

They look good on some cars! I have a set of 15" cop wheels I would probably put on it for now.

I'm picturing the car with some nice wheels, original interior, and chrome bumpers. I have a set of steel wheels and plymouth center caps I can throw on it, nice chrome bumpers may be hard to come by.
you aint gonna find any better looking rims for that body style
:poke:

:BangHead: It's threads like this that make me regret passing on this for $600 last year :BangHead:
Screenshot_2017-03-07-18-36-31.png

I am not an "old school" guy or a purist but I do like the slotted wheels on the car!
I like them too, always had a soft spot for 'em!
And by the way, i'm an old guy who seen them when they were new!

I'm 51. I remember them still being cool as the Center Lines and other wheels started gaining popularity.

I'm 51. I remember them still being cool as the Center Lines and other wheels started gaining popularity.
I won't say they don't have "something" but I am partial to cop wheels with poverty caps. In my mind, something's are just too cliche. Like that's just what you would expect. Just my opinion. My other opinion is my money, my car, I'll do what makes me happy and so should he.

-
Back