Advise/Pointers on enlarging hole in hood

-

Kmrumedy

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Next project coming up on my 64 Valiant is enlarging the hole under the scoop in my hood. Never cut metal before and have some questions. The challenge is the scoop should have been installed a little further back so scoop is not centered and engine is tall though I will be working on that too.

As you can see the hole was cut very badly and due to the engine height I am currently limited to the size of air filter I can put on the car. I want to enlarge the hole. I am going to remove the spacers on the engine to lower it a bit as I would also like a taller cleaner in addition to a larger one.

Again....this all new to me so any advise even if it seems completely obvious is helpful to a newbie like me!

Questions:

1. Can I safely cut through the cross members in the hood? Will this cause any issues?
2. Do I just need a reciprocating saw and grinder for the job?
3. Once cut what can I put on the newly cut edges to prep and protect from rust?
4. Does it have to be cut in circle or can I do more of an oblong/ rectangle shape for more air? Can I cut most of the metal under the scoop? Or is this frowned upon?
5. I tried to find a good video on YouTube but didn't find anything good about this project. Does anybody have a good link?

Here are some pictures
Yes....first thing I did was swap out that triangle of death....

About 12 inches. Can I cut those cross members under the hood?

You can see how tall the engine is though I am removing the 2 inch spacers.

This is the largest cleaner that can fit at the moment 10 inches

Scoop from outside

Here is the car...

cutting the braces is never a good thing , they are called braces for a reason and you just might go to close the hood one day and fold it in half if you cut through them , that said it looks like you could nibble another inch all the way round without getting into the angle part of the brace . That would get you up to a 12 incher . Just be sure you only cut the part way into the flat and keep away from the bend , Air nibblers is how I've always seen it done but the double thickness might be too much for them .

^^ or cut the braces if you have good metal working skills bend a sheet to the same shape as your cut and weld it to the brace for structural support then make it look factory by smearing a big glob of seam sealer between your hood and the new metal

I would use a jig saw with a metal blade.I would not cut anymore of the brace than you have to.

Thanks guys. Without cutting a good section of the brace I won't be able to get the circumference I need.

So if the brace is out I guess lowering the height of the motor and getting a taller filter in is the way to go? Any other suggestions for more airflow with current set up?

**I have two hoods. I also have the original hood uncut and painted. It is mint. So I could do a " start over" if required.

It's a big job but I have seen the hood braces cut,then using angle iron box the opening with a square made from the angle and weld it to the existing brace.Use seam sealer to help "Bond" the box to the sheet metal of the hood.

I cut the braces out of my Duster hood! Then welded in sheet to cap the freshly formed brace ends. Then to prevent flex and warp and other damage issues, I pulled the springs from the hinges. I will now have to use a prop rod for my hood. Probably a very liveable situation for your car.

most of those ideas involve welding which is going to mean repainting , have you tried the K&N XStream Airflow top instead of the metal one in the pictures ? I would think it would work real good under that scoop .

-
Back