AE Paint a panel at a time.

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
I'm good with it so far, so if I can keep it moving along like this I'll be happy with it.
This is single stage Acrylic Enamel in a kit that came from TCP Global, and it comes with hardener filters and stir stick at about 115 a gallon kit.

Since I have to daily drive this car, I do primering and sanding stuff in the evenings and shoot paint on weekends so I don't have to drive it right away.

Also I am doing it in my back yard :D no booth and using a 10 gallon 1/3 horse compressor.

In person you can see details in the trees across the street, so I'm considering myself one lucky SOB. (a dust devil can come through at any moment as they are common here.)

In the second pic you can see what the top surfaces looked like before, and why I wanted to paint it so bad.

Yea, that's the neighbors roof style TV antenna. LOL

Attachments

• trunkarrow.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 442
  • dside.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 445
Nice... I'm going to paint mine soon as well. Kind a brown/copper pearl color. From Auto body toolmart. (Kirker paint brand). About the same price per gallon.
Yours look very good.

With that small compressor, are you reducing,& at what percentage, Greg?

I remember my dad back in the early 70's painted a 2 horse inline trailer for me F8 green with a compressor that size!!! not easy.

just goes to show what can be a ctually accomplished! too many people are either too lazy or have too much money!!??? LOL

With that small compressor, are you reducing,& at what percentage, Greg?

I tried right out of the can, but I was getting too much orange peel so I reduced by 25% and it seems much better now.
The instructions on the can say it can be reduced that much, but I wanted to try it without first. (wasn't good) :D
Section at a time at 40 pounds seems to work nicely, and the compressor doesn't take very long to recover so that helps a lot.
I'll rent one for the big panels like the sides and hood if I need to.

Pretty soon you'll be ready to :burnout:

The car already :burnout: but it'll :burnout: even better with what's coming today.
I got an approximate 90k mile 5.9 magnum getting delivered today, but it's going to get torn down for inspection first and reassembled with a different cam, new timing set and possibly a quick hone and new rings.
That's the plan anyway, but we'll see what reality has to say about it obviously. :D

Then a week after that it'll probably destroy the 7.25 one legger, but I can get a 8.25 disc brake rear end complete for about $225 and I can cut it down and mod it here. (probably send the axles off for shortening)

It's going to stay a tall geared driver, so no need to get carried away with it.

I don't hot rod it much (maybe a little tire smoke once a month)

Looks really great, especially for what you are doing and how! Wow, $115.00 per gallon kit... I just bought two gallons of Hemi orange Pearl basecoat only for my Barracuda project @ $325.00 plus tax per gallon (PPG paint). Then I dumped another $100.00 worth of gold pearl into it to give it some more bling. Still gotta get all the clear!

Looks real good to me there Greg. My paint job turned out ok, hell never did it before and was actually impressed with myself. Its paint and keeping the cost down you can always go back and re touch ares.......Well Done

Looks real good to me there Greg. My paint job turned out ok, hell never did it before and was actually impressed with myself. Its paint and keeping the cost down you can always go back and re touch ares.......Well Done

That's pretty much the way I looked at it.
Besides, I don't need to go to jail for a door ding or 10. :D

It's going to have to be a "Oh, well no huge deal" paint job.

for the "aerosol can" hell bent guys, I have spent plenty of time D A ing off the friggin flat black aerosol primer the P O applied to the 67 Bel 1 I got from him. I knew it would be a PITA was I drug it home. he didn't not scuff/sand anything, probably didn't even wipe it down with any thing to clean it, just a lot of stupid work for me...... some was already flacking off, some stuck pretty darn solid, BUT the old 50 year old OEM primer/paint. now that stuff is STILL 95% tough!!!!!

a guy pointed out a small door ding I missed on one of my "paint jobs". I told him this. I rather let someone see my mistakes, THAN they see my car perfect and think I spent $6000 at the body shop with a 65 slant dart!" LOL

Hey Greg, out of curiosity what did you use for a accelerater/hardner? I got some called WetLook......From Napa here.A friend of mine works there and hes the man in regards to paint and all.Hes the one that talked me into doing it myself. The Wetlook is pretty cool, people ask me how many coats of clear i have on my Dart and i say none.They tell me im full of it.Im planning on re doing some body work and re paint this fall $$$ permitting. Now that its got colour i can easily see my mistakes.Dam eyes aint that great anymore,definately more light this time doing it.

Hey Greg, out of curiosity what did you use for a accelerater/hardner? I got some called WetLook......From Napa here.A friend of mine works there and hes the man in regards to paint and all.Hes the one that talked me into doing it myself. The Wetlook is pretty cool, people ask me how many coats of clear i have on my Dart and i say none.They tell me im full of it.Im planning on re doing some body work and re paint this fall $$$ permitting. Now that its got colour i can easily see my mistakes.Dam eyes aint that great anymore,definately more light this time doing it.

I got the hardener that came with the paint kit and it is "wet look" medium. (70-80 degrees)
I have some dings here and there down the side (maybe 3-4 per side) but I have two fair dents in the beak I need to straighten out before I get that far with the paint.
Lower rear quarters need some metal also, but I'll get to it.
I just really needed to get some coverage on the top surfaces mostly before another winter happened.
My car sat in a car port in AZ with the right rear corner exposed to the sun and weather, so it really did a number on that corner of the trunk, fender anf top of the passenger door.
The tail/brake lenses on that side were almost dust. :D

outdoors huh? you're either crazy or lucky - - or an interesting combination of both.. looks good!

I know, right?
Pretty much always been a 50/50 of both.
On breezy days I primer and sand, and on dead calm days I spray paint.
So far been pretty lucky with it but I'm still waiting for that random dust devil 5 min after I get a spot sprayed. :D
I don't see how it can't happen at some point, but I'll just chalk it up to not so lucky that time and deal with it.

Looks really good so far! Nice to be able to do it yourself and save lots of $$$$

Dave,

The white paint on my 68 came from TCP. I still have some left. It's been holding up pretty good. Color sanding and buffing really brings it out!

You are getting some good shine out of spraying that.
I actually like painting cars outside, not nearly the overspray to deal with.

The white paint on my 68 came from TCP. I still have some left. It's been holding up pretty good. Color sanding and buffing really brings it out!

Was it the spinnaker white? I am getting ready to order a gallon. Thinking AE as I don't have the safety equipment (self contained air?) for urethane..

What gun are you spraying with?

You know, I don't remember the brand but it came from Summit or some place like that.
73Abodee (Lance could probably tell you because I bought the same one he did his car with.
It is a LVLP gun (1 qt) with a 1.5 tip if I remember.

:thumbup: REALLY nice work....Thoroughly impressed with how it looks!!

Any updates or are you finished?

-
Back