-
Status
Not open for further replies.

cpearce

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Contact seller
I am needing 4, .068 x .050 step up rods. If anyone has any they wish to sell please let me know. Carter part number 16-51.

Regards, Chris

Chris, I went through all minibus mine are three step AVS rods. You must need two step rods for AFBs? I see some fake copies on Amazon but even they were not the right size. I'll keep looking.

Chris, I went through all minibus mine are three step AVS rods. You must need two step rods for AFBs? I see some fake copies on Amazon but even they were not the right size. I'll keep looking.
2 step for AVS

Jon at Eldon MO can make them for you on the Carter equipment he has. Won't be cheap but he has all the drawings and tooling to do so. Tom

2 step for AVS
I know that you can use the AFB 2 step rods in an AVS if you change the main jets to AFB jets and use the flat top covers so I would guess that you should be able to use AVS 3 step rods in an AFB by changing the main jets to AVS 3 step rods and use the domed covers.

Chrysler factory AFB and AVS used three-step rods. As stated above, you need to use the flat top covers to use two-step.

Chrysler factory AFB and AVS used three-step rods. As stated above, you need to use the flat top covers to use two-step.
Screenshot_20230928_175638_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Acording to this chart, rods # 16-51, are 2 step, are they not? Not trying to be argumentative, perhaps I'm not fully understanding how to use the chart?

I can't read that chart, but Jim is correct, almost all Chrysler OEM Carter AFB and AVS rods were 3 step rods for use with tall primary jets. What carb are you working on? Have you pulled the rods yet? Do you have flat or raised piston caps? Do you have raised primary jets?

I can't read that chart, but Jim is correct, almost all Chrysler OEM Carter AFB and AVS rods were 3 step rods for use with tall primary jets. What carb are you working on? Have you pulled the rods yet? Do you have flat or raised piston caps? Do you have raised primary jets?
New AVS 2 carbs, flat top covers over rods.

View attachment 1716149529
Acording to this chart, rods # 16-51, are 2 step, are they not? Not trying to be argumentative, perhaps I'm not fully understanding how to use the chart?
I also cannot read the chart, but I believe GM used two-step rods in their AFB and AVS (yes, 1967 327 could be had with an AVS. I helped a friend of mine put it on his '57 283 back around 1980).

I do not have any 16-51 metering rods. I have 1 pair .068 x .052 and another pair at .0695 x .047. Read the article from The Carb Shop on metering rods. The closest I could find new were .067 x .049 for your AVS2. You can also go larger with both the jets and rods or smaller with both the jets and rods, but you have to do the math and calculate the areas of both diameters (Area = Pi x D/2 Squared) and subtract the smaller from the larger.

THE CARBURETOR SHOP /Carter metering rod technology

Carb Metering Rod #1462 Size .067 x .049 AVS2, Performer & Thunder Carbs (Pair)

Called the Carburetor shop, they were unable to help.

Still looking for the 16-51 rods.

Will explore changing both rods and jets, using the mathematical calculations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back