afordable headers wanted

-

Wild Card

Reaction score
ive been all over the net looking at headers for my 75 dart 4dr but every one i find is up around $400 or more. is there any made that are mabe around $200 or less? i had the same problem with my old 93 s10 that had a 2.5 4cyl. i finally gave up. id take a used set as long as thay are in good shape.

ive been all over the net looking at headers for my 75 dart 4dr but every one i find is up around $400 or more. is there any made that are mabe around $200 or less? i had the same problem with my old 93 s10 that had a 2.5 4cyl. i finally gave up. id take a used set as long as thay are in good shape.

The line started long before you got in it.

why is it so hard to find cheaper slant 6 car headers?

Because there are none. Clifford and Hooker are it for the USA. The Cliffords are 400 and the Hookers are 500 plain and 700 coated. The Aussies are nice but they are a little higher than the Cliffords. Just like there are no affordable "good" headers for a V8 Mopar, slants have no affordable headers either. But then, I guess it all depends on how badly you want them as to what affordable really means.

does anyone make a build your own header kit for a dodge slant 6 and about what does it run?between me and a few friends we could weld up a wicked custom set.

does anyone make a build your own header kit for a dodge slant 6 and about what does it run?between me and a few friends we could weld up a wicked custom set.

Go to Ebay and search "slant flanges". There are a few on there.

Search craigslist often! I just bought a brand new set of mopar performance headers and a chrome valve cover for $130. Deals are out there if you are patient.

$115.00!!! check these guys out,
D3X1.jpg

http://www.decheaders.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=64_65_13_58
for a through the hood header (derby header) but would make a very sound starting point for some home made headers, just tell them to make them straight out and not bend them up??? maybe even cheaper! or make the flange upside down so you can have them start going down and then swing them out...? Dang, the flanges are 1/2 of this cost and you get pipes and collectors with these guys. Score !

Want some advice you'd probably rather ignore?

Forget about flashy headers and bolt-ons and work on your foundation. This isn't a V8 just waiting for a few bolt-ons to unleash it's power. You've probably got a compression ratio in the 7's, bud, regardless of what it says in the book. The cylinder head was designed for 170 cubic inches, not 225, so it's a major restriction to power output, no matter how great the exhaust is. Have you recurved your distributor to get the best advance for your combo?

Compression ratio isn't sexy, but it makes more usable power. Get some mild port work done, mill the head and shoot for 8.5-9:1 comp. That alone will make a big difference, and it's a better platform for your other intended mods. Granted, you won't see it when you pop the hood, but what is your goal, looks or performance?

Most guys in your position bolt some parts on a slant, are left unsatisfied with the results, and either swap in a V8 or move onto another car altogether. I'd rather see you happy with the car/engine you've got if possible, and you're obviously like me and don't have deep pockets. Personally, I think you should save your money, tune and optimize what you've got, and then make a decision on how much power you want/need based on that. No reason to waste time and money tracking down expensive, hard-to-find headers you may just end up having to unload.

Just my .02. Best of luck!

-
Back