After 2 long years, 1st start up!!! (Video)

-

blackhand

Reaction score
What started as a simple valve spring replacement turned into a rebuild of the entire top end, and then some! It's taken two very long years, but I finally got everything back together and fired it up for the first time yesterday. Everything went beyond smoothly and I'm very pleased with the results. :cheers:

Heres' a short video of the first start up and break in. The last thirty seconds are of the car idling after the break in was complete.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EstiOGqaGJY"]1967 Barracuda First Start Up - YouTube[/ame]

P.S. - Some of you may have seen my build thread (long abandoned) in the Big Block tech section. I'm typically very busy and have trouble finding time for updates, but will make it a priority soon. I took lots of pictures during the build and am looking forward to sharing them with you all.

Thanks guys, I'm very excited to have it back on the road. I took it for a drive up and down the block last night to make sure everything is working properly before heading out on some real roads. So far so good.

Also got the timing fine-tuned and the idle mixture set correctly. It's pulling almost 14 inches of vacuum and idling at 800 RPM even with the Hughes Whiplash cam. Checked for any leaks this morning and there's not a drop to be found.

Looks like I'll be ready to head out on the highway very soon. I'd like to get about 100 highway miles on it before attempting a full throttle pass on it. What do you guys think? Is that overkill?

I'd like to get about 100 highway miles on it before attempting a full throttle pass on it. What do you guys think? Is that overkill?

Shoot after you change the break in oil hammer that sucker! It's what it's for, your gonna like the Whiplash cam. Mine in my 360 pulls great vacuum too and has bonkers torque and throttle response! Doesn't pull to 7000 or anything but with stock valve springs in my stock heads and 9.0:1 compression it wouldn't. But it goes like snot.

Nice work! :cheers:

Everything on the engine is new except for the block and rotating assembly. Maybe I'm being overly cautious, but I just don't want to deal with wiped lobe. I'm sure it would be fine though.

The cam is the Hughes flat-tappet Whiplash for low deck big blocks. Specs are 0.518" lift with 229* intake and 242* exhaust at 0.050" lift.

Also, I am using the new TTI shorty headers. I have not yet seen any other photos or descriptions of them installed in an A-body. I will say that they fit like a glove. There is no rubbing anywhere but clearance is as tight as 1/8" in some places, like the driver's side torsion bar. The best part is that I was able to install all eight spark plugs from the top, using a socket!

You'll be fine on the cam. Wouldn't worry about it. Been hammerin mine since break in and it's great. Just break it in correctly and you'll be fine. So much fear these days about cam failure. Get a quality cam, use the right oil, make sure your engine is ready and break it in correctly and your fine. No need to be paranoid. Your gonna wanna get into it every stoplight!

-
Back