After Market Carb

-

Money Pit

Reaction score
I just purchased a super six intake manifold. Instead of messing around with a reman carb, is there a good after market carb that will bolt on with or without an adaptor. I have a 1970 stock slant with an auto trans. I was thinking about a TBI but I think I will wait until the 2 barrel modle has been out for a while. Thanks.

Holley 2300 350 CFM will bolt on with an adapter. Nice little carburetor.

If you are willing to take the time to tune it, the Weber 38/38 synchronus 2-barrel would also be a good choice.

You need a 2 plate adapter to put it on the super six intake. I know because I have a Weber 32/36 on my Slant with the same Super Six intake.

As an FYI Money Pit, the BBD 2-barrel was the early super-six factory stock carburetor, so you shouldn't have any trouble with it. It was a widely used carb that was also used on lower performance V8 models.

So with that said I would endorse the BBD as well.

However, I personally would not go near the Holley 2280 that was the later Super Six factory equipment carb. When I bought my Super Six intake off ebay years ago it came with the 2280 and I had nothing but trouble with it. In fact I tried contacting Holley about the carb and they acted like they never made the carb (at least that was my experience). That's not a dig on Holley the company, just that particular carb.

As an FYI Money Pit, the BBD 2-barrel was the early super-six factory stock carburetor, so you shouldn't have any trouble with it. It was a widely used carb that was also used on lower performance V8 models.

So with that said I would endorse the BBD as well.

However, I personally would not go near the Holley 2280 that was the later Super Six factory equipment carb. When I bought my Super Six intake off ebay years ago it came with the 2280 and I had nothing but trouble with it. In fact I tried contacting Holley about the carb and they acted like they never made the carb (at least that was my experience). That's not a dig on Holley the company, just that particular carb.
I had a BBD on my 318 challenger. It was a good carb. Thanks

If you bought a BBD from there (can't speak for the Holleys) it is going to be a rebuilt unit. Carter went out of business years ago.
Do you think a carb from a 77 Volarie would be the best? I have a core carb but I don't know what car it was on. Thanks

If there is a thin metal tag held on by one of the screws, that is the Carter P/N. They probably had a Bill of Materials in their files listing all the parts needed to build that particular model. Anyway...you can Google that number and find the exact application. I'm pretty sure they were listed in the FSM too. (Factory Service Manual) A 77 Volare carb should be good for you , especially if it came off a slant.

I bought a BBD off EBay last year and the tag told me it was originally used on a 1967 273 manual transmission car which should work pretty well on my stick shift 64 225.

Last edited:
If there is a thin metal tag held on by one of the screws, that is the Carter p/N. They probably had a Bill of Materials in their files listing all the parts needed to build that particular model. Anyway...you can Google that number and find the exact application. I'm pretty sure they were listed in the FSM too. (Factory Service Manual) A 77 Volare carb should be good for you , especially if it came off a slant.

I bought a BBD off EBay last year and the tag told me it was originally used on a 1967 273 manual transmission car which should work pretty well on my stick shift 64 225.
Thanks. Great info.

As an FYI Money Pit, the BBD 2-barrel was the early super-six factory stock carburetor

The BBD was the only Super Six stock carb.

However, I personally would not go near the Holley 2280 that was the later Super Six factory equipment carb.

No, sir. The 2280 was not factory-installed on 225 engines. It was offered by Holley as an aftermarket replacement for the BBD. It's got several design and build advantages over the BBD: the 2280 is made of aluminum instead of pot metal, there's a very wide range of main jets available for the 2280 but not for the BBD. They're both good carb designs as configured for Chrysler Corp vehicles (the Jeep/AMC BBDs are different and have a bad reputation); whether a BBD or a 2280 is better for your Slant-6 is down to the condition of the particular carburetor(s) in front of you. New old stock BBD versus new old stock 2280, tough to go wrong either way assuming both carbs are configured for Slant-6 applications. New old stock 2280 versus Chinese knockoff "100% NEW!!!!!!!" BBD-shaped trinket, the 2280 wins with both throttle plates tied behind its back. Basically-sound used 2280 carefully reconditioned versus basically-sound used BBD carefully reconditioned, another tough pick.

Last edited:
The BBD was the only Super Six stock carb.

I'll stand corrected on this point, I could have sworn I read (from a reputable source) that the 2280 was a later factory part but for the life of me I can't find my source to back it up now. So I will defer to Dan's wealth of knowledge here.

Regardless, if Dan says the 2280 is a good carb, then perhaps I just had bad luck with the example that came with my intake. I was never able to get the engine running with that Holley.

With the Weber 32/36 I have had a substantially better experience and more recently I've been talking directly with the people at Redline (USA distributor for Weber). There own advice was to get a 38/38 for this size of engine. The 38/38 and the 32/36 share the same bolting surface, which is why I know with an adapter plate either will fit the super six intake.

I'll stand corrected on this point, I could have sworn I read (from a reputable source) that the 2280 was a later factory part

That was Reed Speir's 2003 article over on slantsix.org, here. He's right about almost everything in that piece (or at least, he was right on almost everything as of 2003) but that one bit is an error.

Regardless, if Dan says the 2280 is a good carb, then perhaps I just had bad luck with the example that came with my intake.

Totally reasonable -- I have seen 2280s (and BBDs, and BBSs, and 1920s...) that just plain refuse to behave, no matter how carefully they're put together and set up.

With the Weber 32/36 I have had a substantially better experience

Me, I'll defer to you on that point. I believe you, but I was always able to make the traditional-type carbs (Carter BBS/BBD, Holley 1920/1945, Bendix-Stromberg WA3/WW3) work well and I sorta see the Webers as a black art I'm not really interested in learning (that may change once it becomes completely impossible to get a good factory-type carb any more). I understand the Webers are very highly tunable, but that also implies having to do a lot of tuning (spend a lot of time fiddlefutzing). One thing that puts me off them from the practical standpoint is air cleaner unavailability: those dumb little rectangular K&N "filters" do an okeh job of keeping spiders and rocks out the engine, but as far as actual dust and dirt, they're lousy (see here and here—"After only 24 minutes the K&N had accumulated 221gms of dirt but passed 7.0gms. Compared to the AC, the K&N plugged up nearly 3 times faster, passed 18 times more dirt and captured 37% less dirt").

Me, I'll defer to you on that point. I believe you, but I was always able to make the traditional-type carbs (Carter BBS/BBD, Holley 1920/1945, Bendix-Stromberg WA3/WW3) work well and I sorta see the Webers as a black art I'm not really interested in learning (that may change once it becomes completely impossible to get a good factory-type carb any more). I understand the Webers are very highly tunable, but that also implies having to do a lot of tuning (spend a lot of time fiddlefutzing). One thing that puts me off them from the practical standpoint is air cleaner unavailability: those dumb little rectangular K&N "filters" do an okeh job of keeping spiders and rocks out the engine, but as far as actual dust and dirt, they're lousy (see here and here—"After only 24 minutes the K&N had accumulated 221gms of dirt but passed 7.0gms. Compared to the AC, the K&N plugged up nearly 3 times faster, passed 18 times more dirt and captured 37% less dirt").

I'll admit that tuning them is a bit challenging, I'm still learning how to tune mine. I also didn't grow up tuning traditional carburetors like Carters and Holleys, so the Weber is what I've learned the most about.

As far as air cleaner support goes, that just became a lot better. Webber came out with a universal air cleaner adapter plate that allows you to use any standard 5-1/8in round base air cleaner. I bought one and put a Mustang "Cobra" oval style air cleaner on my Slant.

Part number (from Carbs Unlimited) is 99010.457 and it's a genuine Weber Redline part, costs about $27 if you shop around.

image-20180323_193311.jpg

image-20180323_193344.jpg

image-20180323_193407.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back