After market gas cap question

-

1967DartSwinger

Reaction score
I’m looking at buying a Dart. It’s missing it’s fuel cap so that will need to be the first thing I address when I bring it home. (Gas gauge also doesn’t work so that will be the second thing to fix)
I looked at the local auto parts stores online and Napa shows a chrome locking one,part number BK 7031158 for 67-69 dart. there’s also a black plastic locking Stant 10772. Can anyone confirm these ones will work? Are 1967-1969 Dart caps all the same size? I will eventually buy a vintage mopar one,but when I bring the car home I didn’t want the gas to evaporate or rain to get in the tank while I’m driving it.

Id buy them both and return the one that you don’t fit. And later A body’s change over the years..

Also look at Rock Auto, as their parts look up is the easiest online to cross reference and find stuff.

1672590707233.png

It’s missing it’s fuel cap so that will need to be the first thing I address when I bring it home. (Gas gauge also doesn’t work so that will be the second thing to fix)
ALL aftermarket fuel senders are not worth the money for the box they come in. if your sender is not a rust bucket have it rebuilt, even if it is a rust bucket it might be able to be rebuilt. IF it is already aftermarket then change away. If the cap has been missing for some time and the car was outside the likelihood that he tank is a rust bucket is great, so the sender would most likely be in the same shape.

as for the caps, the photo above shows the differences. The 67-70 Cap is NON VENTED

Is there a reason you are looking at a locking cap?

Many sellers sell proper replacement caps. I have seen a post here about a locking cap becoming stuck on a filler neck

https://www.ebay.com/itm/231040775047?fits=Year:1967|Model:Dart|Make:Dodge&hash=item35cb1a7387:g:bVAAAOSwHjNV9eJE&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAsMDypEFIV72fDvbV1rKlw5sIyb20wPG71VdDxVhWl8JwBeIg1dH5dt0lP7TVxeOZgeoBqAI1Up0FcBDvE0T9LyoG2anXII/8r41tM80CWfmUu7L1gNgXkZHF73ophOBcn19qJlOztP2A1N5RW+pN+bJ/6r2GisU3S4rvWXVYmFMfDdU5EsROMxi1bQB7IoqtM/MsbzWJmHJsUq0RtWNcf3wxH0GJE5kmD4JbFAbAyEo6|tkp:Bk9SR_Kr2uOtYQ

fits 67 68 69 70 71 A-Body Dart Valiant Duster Non Vented Gas Cap NEW | eBay
NORS Stant Gas Cap - 1967 thru 70 Dart, Valiant - G29 | eBay

NORS Stant Gas Cap - 1967 thru 70 Dart, Valiant - G29 | eBay

Thanks,I’m new hear and saw the “sticky” on this after I posted the question. I’m still curious though as sometimes the parts you get in auto parts stores don’t fit. Guess I can take it back if it doesn’t
That is the nature of the beast. A LOT of misinformation out there and " Universal" parts

Best advice I can give you... Take a lot of photos and NEVER NEVER NEVER toss out an old part regardless of how bad it looks. you might need it restored as repos are not available.

You have a one year only car, and many of the parts are not 68 up compatible or 66 down compatible, BUT some are so don't hesitate to look.

MyMopar.com has factory service manuals and parts books free down load. Also look on YouTube for Chrysler Technical videos, they are worth their weight in gold if you have little to no knowledge of how these old systems work, Heck even if you think you do know, watch them anyway!

A prime example of 67 specific non repoed part. The GT Dash bezels, they are repoed for 68/69 but not 67, the speedometer and (I think) glove box bezels will fit 67 but the heater / radio bezel is UNUBTAINIUM. AND there are 2 tiny hidden screws only accessible from the back of the dash to remove it from 67. brake them and you have a free hanging bezel.

67 E brake handle is like the 66, the 68 up is different, it will fit but will look wrong.

I’m looking at buying a Dart. It’s missing it’s fuel cap so that will need to be the first thing I address when I bring it home. (Gas gauge also doesn’t work so that will be the second thing to fix)
I looked at the local auto parts stores online and Napa shows a chrome locking one,part number BK 7031158 for 67-69 dart. there’s also a black plastic locking Stant 10772. Can anyone confirm these ones will work? Are 1967-1969 Dart caps all the same size? I will eventually buy a vintage mopar one,but when I bring the car home I didn’t want the gas to evaporate or rain to get in the tank while I’m driving it.
Does all of them have the same outside diameter?

All after market caps will fit 67-69 and 72 -76 They are all vented but will work. 71 is on its own

That is the nature of the beast. A LOT of misinformation out there and " Universal" parts

Best advice I can give you... Take a lot of photos and NEVER NEVER NEVER toss out an old part regardless of how bad it looks. you might need it restored as repos are not available.

You have a one year only car, and many of the parts are not 68 up compatible or 66 down compatible, BUT some are so don't hesitate to look.

MyMopar.com has factory service manuals and parts books free down load. Also look on YouTube for Chrysler Technical videos, they are worth their weight in gold if you have little to no knowledge of how these old systems work, Heck even if you think you do know, watch them anyway!

A prime example of 67 specific non repoed part. The GT Dash bezels, they are repoed for 68/69 but not 67, the speedometer and (I think) glove box bezels will fit 67 but the heater / radio bezel is UNUBTAINIUM. AND there are 2 tiny hidden screws only accessible from the back of the dash to remove it from 67. brake them and you have a free hanging bezel.

67 E brake handle is like the 66, the 68 up is different, it will fit but will look wrong.

Thanks for all the advice.especially on the one year only parts. I’m not sure if the sender is original or not or why it’s not working. The car is a desert car and has no rust. Paint is faded in some areas but not rust. Not even in the trunk or around the windows where the vinyl roof is. I haven’t seen under the vinyl roof though.

I was looking at a locking cap because people steal gas out of cars now because the prices got high,someone with a 67 Plymouth has had it happen to them twice,and you just have jerks that will steal a gas cap for the heck of it. Plus,that’s all the auto parts store can get. Like the outside hood release on these cars,the non locking cap a remnant of a far more trusting time.

It’s sad that nobody sells decent senders anymore. But then everything’s made in China these days

It’s sad that nobody sells decent senders anymore. But then everything’s made in China these days
it is sad as there are many perfectly good used OEM units to make a repo from. The problem is NOT China it is the companies who ask a Contract Manufacturer in China OR anywhere else in the world to make a part and the company has no quality control and do not understand the unique features of old parts. With the senders it is the length of the float arm and the winding and shape of the rheostat. they are all wound for a retangular tank and a linier gauge. Our gauges respond to a curve and the tanks and not in any way rectangular. 10 ohms might read full and 72 ohms might read empty but all aftermarket senders I have seen read 30 to 40 ohms at 1/2 tank when it should be 23 or there about

here is a review I did on the "A100 Sender" that has gotten so much praise, but in my testing fell flat just like the Aftermarket senders. look at the spreadsheet charts and curves there are red diamonds showing the resistance needed to make E, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 full on the gauge. only the OEM comes close and look how long the gauge would read Full and Empty

Product Review: A100 Fuel Sender For 67 Dart

Push comes to shove a rubber expanding freeze plug will do about 90 percent good job.

-
Back