After Market Lift Supports

-

Cliff'sDodge

Cliff's66Dart
Reaction score
Has anyone replaced hood or trunk springs with lift supports? I have a 66 Dodge Dart. Just wondering! It is an after market mod but seems like it would look cool.

yea, it's been done - I don't recall what I used as a search phrase, but if you kick it around a bit you can find examples and decent pics via Google etc.

I used Mitsubishi Montero rear hatch lifts for my 65 Dart wagon's hood and is documented on my slow restoration thread. IMO great mod!

I'm doing it now with billet hinges

IMG_0340.JPG

I'm still "fine-tuning" the gas spring for load. So rather than give you incomplete data and a part number that may or may not work, I'd rather wait until I have a solid number. That should be soon.

And keep in mind that spring is working on a billet hinge with spherical bearings so it will be different on a stock stamped hinge.

I'm still "fine-tuning" the gas spring for load. So rather than give you incomplete data and a part number that may or may not work, I'd rather wait until I have a solid number. That should be soon.

And keep in mind that spring is working on a billet hinge with spherical bearings so it will be different on a stock stamped hinge.

Hi, great mod, I'm in the process myself.
Did you fab the billet hinge or is it borrowed from something else? Thanks

The hinges are "one off" CNC'd hinges that were machined from solid billet. The hinges are made out of 6061T6 with spherical bearings. I have to change a couple of dimensions on the hinge and add a boss for the ball stud. I might be selling sets if I can finish up the load on the gas springs and if there is interest.

Has anyone replaced hood or trunk springs with lift supports? I have a 66 Dodge Dart. Just wondering! It is an after market mod but seems like it would look cool.
I'm not certain, it might be Johnnydart(?), I know it is a green car.....He has done it......................

I'm not certain, it might be Johnnydart(?), I know it is a green car.....He has done it......................
I did it on my Green 66 Dart. Hood and Trunk. I have posted lots of pictures

I might be doing a trunk in my 69 Convertible. I will post how to pics if I do.

-
Back