After Work Project

-

66MOPAR77

Reaction score
We heat with a 245,000 BTU Propane boiler. And we also burn wood in a wood insert
"Wood is Primary Heat" last winter was so cold that we went through 4.5 cords of wood and
2000.00 in Propane at 4.00 a gallon:wack:
So we broke down and bough a Central Boiler Outdoor Wood. With being a HVAC/Plumber service tech I installed everything my self here is a pic of what I did after work.
It's supposed to be down in the 30's this weekend so good time to try it out.
This is a 350,000 BTU plate Heat Exchanger that will heat the water on the inside boiler to
170deg with out burning gas
How does everyone else heat
View attachment image.jpg

More pictures please!

I use a pellet stove most of the time to heat my house and have a propane fired forced air when I'm not home.

Beautiful work :thumbrig:.

How much savings do you think your looking at? I have know idea...lol. I did spend one season in Maryland at my future/current wife's place with nothing but wood as the boiler feeds froze/broke and the landlord wouldn't fix it. I split so much wood, I thought I was a lumberjack :D.

I wonder how electric baseboard would do in that situation, as long as the panel box could handle it?

Beautiful work :thumbrig:.

How much savings do you think your looking at? I have know idea...lol. I did spend one season in Maryland at my future/current wife's place with nothing but wood as the boiler feeds froze/broke and the landlord wouldn't fix it. I split so much wood, I thought I was a lumberjack :D.

I wonder how electric baseboard would do in that situation, as long as the panel box could handle it?

Rick,
I will save around 2-3 grand and will have stove and all materials will have paid for them selves by next winter, my wood is free and have cut and busted around 9 cords this summer

Electric base boards are not real efficient but will keep you warm and there cheap but wire is expensive.

So you rent a House that the landlord refuses to fix?:wack:
That's against the law in NC land lord must provide a permanent source of heat.

Rick, I will save around 2-3 grand and will have stove and all materials will have paid for them selves by next winter, my wood is free and have cut and busted around 9 cords this summerElectric base boards are not real efficient but will keep you warm and there cheap but wire is expensive. So you rent a House that the landlord refuses to fix?:wack:That's against the law in NC land lord must provide a permanent source of heat.

That sound great, hopefully we have a milder winter this year too. That situation involved a family friend owner :violent1:. That's why when we got married the next August, I insisted we move to So. Florida for next 16yrs...:)

That sound great, hopefully we have a milder winter this year too. That situation involved a family friend owner :violent1:. That's why when we got married the next August, I insisted we move to So. Florida for next 16yrs...:)

I don't blame you we has a hell of a winter this past one in NC 4 days of -12 temps sucks for a heating and air guy lmat:wack:

Last year was by far the worst since we've moved to the low country here in Sc in Dec. 2010. The ice storm took out a lot of trees in our area, but we were fortunate to not have any house damage.

Not that you want to hear it, but I put a new heat pump, 2 ton, in our 1100sq ft home when we moved in and the highest monthly bill I've had so far was $128. I keep it at 78* summer & 70* in the winter. Ironically, the yearly electric bills here have been better then 90% of the bills in So. Florida...

Last year was by far the worst since we've moved to the low country here in Sc in Dec. 2010. The ice storm took out a lot of trees in our area, but we were fortunate to not have any house damage.

Not that you want to hear it, but I put a new heat pump, 2 ton, in our 1100sq ft home when we moved in and the highest monthly bill I've had so far was $128. I keep it at 78* summer & 70* in the winter. Ironically, the yearly electric bills here have been better then 90% of the bills in So. Florida...

Oh yea heat pump or geothermal is the most efficient way to heat right now
That's great glad to hear your energy savings

What did you use to insulate the lines running from the fireplace to the house? Do you know what type of temperature loss you have from the fireplace to the house?

attachment.php
At least if that stack of firewood rolls off the hill.....you could probably beat it down to the steak house and pick it up in the parking lot! :D

all this makes me miss being down home in Florida!!! Soon will be relocating back!!! Those pics look oddly like my uncles moonshine stills down in Georgia and north FL LOL!!!

I'll let you know I'm firing it up shortly

Why, Thank You!

Looks like an awesome set up.

I have a Burnham RV4 boiler sitting in my basement, I bought it about 2 years ago and it's still new sitting in it's origional shipping container. I think it's about a 96,000btu unit. I'm thinking about using it to heat my house, 850sq ft. upper and the same on the lower level. I paid $500.00 for it. I have forced air now but it was done as a conversion because it had EBB. They did not do a good job installing the forced air, one outlet vent to heat the livingroom and kitchen which are the furthest rooms fron the furnace.
I can run the hot water lines thru the existing vent lines to get them to the living room without having to pull drywall.

Did you use any PEX for piping?

I wired my friends about 2 years ago, he loves it. He has a big house on 11 wooded acres. His comment was, I can keep the house as warm as I want now and don't worry about oil prices. Total cost was around 12,000.00 here. I think you need 3 acres and it needs to be 60 feet from the house in our twp. He stokes it in the morning when he goes to work and at night just before bed. I ran a 12/2 uf in the trench with the water lines, they are a SOB to unroll. They are encased in a 8" plastic pipe filled with foam insulation.

We heat with a 245,000 BTU Propane boiler. And we also burn wood in a wood insert

How does everyone else heat?
View attachment 1714757537

Let's see... I've got a gas fireplace in the living room, a wood cook stove in the kitchen, a ductless heat pump in the great room, a pellet stove in the attached garage, a couple cadet heaters in the bedrooms, and a wood stove in the basement. 'Course, I'm in the heating business... I have found that I do the majority of my heating with the ductless heat pump. It keeps the entire upstairs (1,900 sf) comfortable year around.

Why, Thank You!

Looks like an awesome set up.

I have a Burnham RV4 boiler sitting in my basement, I bought it about 2 years ago and it's still new sitting in it's origional shipping container. I think it's about a 96,000btu unit. I'm thinking about using it to heat my house, 850sq ft. upper and the same on the lower level. I paid $500.00 for it. I have forced air now but it was done as a conversion because it had EBB. They did not do a good job installing the forced air, one outlet vent to heat the livingroom and kitchen which are the furthest rooms fron the furnace.
I can run the hot water lines thru the existing vent lines to get them to the living room without having to pull drywall.

Did you use any PEX for piping?

Yes I used all PEX it s a special PEX made for Hot Water Systems. I could have ordered the pipe from the company I got the stove from for 1200.00 but I'm a Tight *** and made mine with 1"x3" wall insulation in coragated drain line and piled it through with my pickup and sealed the ends with foam.
:cheers: pain in the butt but I have 6000.00 in everything including stove trackhoe rental etc

I wired my friends about 2 years ago, he loves it. He has a big house on 11 wooded acres. His comment was, I can keep the house as warm as I want now and don't worry about oil prices. Total cost was around 12,000.00 here. I think you need 3 acres and it needs to be 60 feet from the house in our twp. He stokes it in the morning when he goes to work and at night just before bed. I ran a 12/2 uf in the trench with the water lines, they are a SOB to unroll. They are encased in a 8" plastic pipe filled with foam insulation.

I pulled 12-2 romex through 1/2 car flex that way if I have to pull a new wire it will be easy cheesy

s w Missouri,,,, I have a small wood stove here in den. we only heat bout 1000 feet of house. usually burn around 6-7 cords. I cut it myself. NO propane. can't afford it!
years abck in n w Missouri I had baseboard hot water heat. I kept the little house warm enough except when it got really cold.
here is Missouri, LOTS of people have those outdoor wood stoves, everyone loves them. yea they cost more than my $250 indoor wood stove!!! LOL probably saves on your insurance bill too!!???

-
Back