Aftermarket A/C systems

-

ktcnn94

Reaction score
Anyone had any experience with adding aftermarket a/c to their ride? It's not an a body but I've got a pretty sweet 83 ram 2wd pick up that I'd like to add a/c to. I've looked around some but can anyone suggest a budget friendly company for this. Also how well does it work if anyone has knowledge. I'd hate to pay out a pile of cash and it looks like crap and doesn't cool well. Thanks in advance.

Currently installing a Classic Auto system in my dart. They've been very helpful, but directions are sh%t. I believe they sell Air only universal kits. I went with them as they're local, and the evac case is serviceable...simply unscrews to open it. Not a molded close system. It's really a toss up between them and Vintage.

Anyone had any experience with adding aftermarket a/c to their ride? It's not an a body but I've got a pretty sweet 83 ram 2wd pick up that I'd like to add a/c to. I've looked around some but can anyone suggest a budget friendly company for this. Also how well does it work if anyone has knowledge. I'd hate to pay out a pile of cash and it looks like crap and doesn't cool well. Thanks in advance.

I have done 2 GM cars with Vintage Air. I gave the fit and quality a good 7 out of a 10. As for the performance, a 10 out of a 10. 32 degrees on both installations so they are efficient. Personally unless it was a factory AC vehicle I would just throw an underdash unit in next time. Someone else will chime in I am sure but that is my experience with atleast one of the popular companies....

JW

I recommend getting it done locally. It will save you the trouble, plus, if there are any warranty issues, you will find it much easier to get it taken care of. Not to mention you will be putting money back into your local community.

The aftermarket kits run ~$1000 for the full setup, or ~$600 for the compressor w/ brackets. You can do much cheaper by finding a factory system. The RV2 compressor was most common thru the 1980's, but quite heavy and bulky. A Sanden would be ideal. Some 78-79 Volare/Aspen w/ slant six had them from the factory. Rockauto shows the Sanden for "dealer-installed" 318 engines around those years, so you might luck into brackets at a junkyard. There was also the small Chrysler C181 compressor then, but had early problems. The best compressor/brackets might be from the latest 318 before it became the 5.2L Magnum (~1992?) w/ serpentine belt. Google Images helps. On ebay, view new universal condensers ($50) and under-dash units ($100).

-
Back