Aftermarket A/C , What brands are you guys using?

-

dwhip361

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've got a 72 Duster and I'm looking for an aftermarket a/c system. What are you guys using and were there any problems... fit, performance etc. Thanks, Dave

I've installed Vintage and Classic. No problems with either. Vintage unit was in my 71 Duster and 66 Charger. Classic installed in a 64 barracuda.

I used the Classic Auto Air Perfect Fit one in my 69 Barracuda. It fit fine and wasn't too hard to put in, but be prepared for the WORST instructions you will ever read. When I was done, I Emailed them a 10 page document correcting errors in their instructions. Some of the errors will leave you dead in the water until you call their tech line. The tech guys were friendly and helpful, but there is no excuse for such poor instructions.

Thanks for all the info guys and thanks for the link 6pk2goDemon, it's always nice to see an actual install.

It depends on what engine you have, which you didn't tell us. A Sanden compressor is probably best for any. If a slant, some Aspen/Volare cars had a Sanden, so if you can find those brackets in a JY, be happy. For SB or BB, most use new brackets (Bouichillon and others). A full kit will cost ~$1000. You do much better piece-meal, but more effort.

I used the Classic Auto Air Perfect Fit one in my 69 Barracuda. It fit fine and wasn't too hard to put in, but be prepared for the WORST instructions you will ever read. When I was done, I Emailed them a 10 page document correcting errors in their instructions. Some of the errors will leave you dead in the water until you call their tech line. The tech guys were friendly and helpful, but there is no excuse for such poor instructions.

Would you be able to email me a copy of your corrected instructions?

I purchased a Perfect Fit System for my '69 Dart and was scratching my head reading the lousy instructions too.

I'd like to install the kit this winter.

Can you PM me your email address?

Thanks

I retrofit Vintage Air into my 1965 Comet and it has been flawless.
The Barracuda will have wing window air conditioning.
DR

I've installed Vintage and Classic. No problems with either. Vintage unit was in my 71 Duster and 66 Charger. Classic installed in a 64 barracuda.

Do you have the part number for the kit you used in your 64' Barracuda?

Truth be told (I noticed your name) we used a kit for a Chevy Nova less the engine brackets for the compressor. Got the small block Mopar Sanden compressor brackets from Bouchillon. This was 7 years ago. I think the kit that Classic shows now for the 67-69 A body will work in the early A.

Hope so. I'm ready to order but none of the manufacturer's knew what would fit.

The difference between the early A and the 67 up is the early A wiper motor is under the dash instead of the engine compartment.Didn't cause any problems on the Barracuda install.

Alllmost ready to pull the trigger on a 67 unit...Doing as much research as I can before ordering. :banghead:

-
Back